Amherst College Store Celebrates a Soft Opening

The new store, housed in the old A.J. Hastings storefront on South Pleasant Street, primarily offers college merchandise, including a number of new designs. It also sells school supplies, snacks, and even printers.

President Michael Elliott made the ceremonial first purchase at the new store. Photo courtesy of Claire Beougher ’26.

The college opened the Amherst College Store in downtown Amherst on Monday, April 29. The new store, operated by the campus retailer Follett and located in the space previously owned by retailer A.J. Hastings, will sell college-branded gear and memorabilia in addition to school supplies, tech accessories, and snacks.

The store’s initial offerings include Stanley cups, printers, assorted Apple products, as well as a variety of new clothing designs, and more.

“We are thrilled that the Amherst College Store is now open for business, and that we are able to bring to life again a historic location in our town,” said President Elliott in a college press release. “Our hope is that the store will not just meet a much-expressed desire for College gear from campus and beyond, but serve as a gateway for members of the College community, alumni and visitors into our hometown.”

The store will be open to the public Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held on May 14 to officially celebrate the store’s opening.