Join Our Staff

The Student welcomes any and all Amherst students who wish to contribute to the newspaper. We are always looking for staff to fill a variety of roles, ranging from writers and podcasters to business managers and web designers. No prior experience is required to join.

To get started, read over the section descriptions below and fill out this brief interest form, so that we can connect you with the sections you want to work for. If you are interested in something that is not included below, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected]. We are always eager to launch new projects and sections, and take student journalism at Amherst to new heights.

Section Descriptions:

News: The News section works to provide up-to-date coverage on the most important events and controversies happening on campus, as well as highlight the stories and experiences of members of the college community. The section is also looking to incorporate more investigative reporting and expand its coverage of the town of Amherst.

Opinion: The Opinion section presents compelling arguments about topics and issues affecting the college community. While regular contributors often take on a column, the section also encourages op-ed submissions, satire pieces, and cartoons.

Arts & Living: The Arts & Living section covers campus life and campus performances, in addition to writing about events and trends in the broader creative world and reviewing works in film, TV, music, and more. The section also features essays, poems, and other forms of art or personal narrative.

Sports: The Sports section focuses its coverage on Amherst varsity athletics, but also includes articles on club sports, commentary on professional sports, satire pieces, and other content related to athletics at Amherst.

Crossword: Crossword staff work to create the weekly crossword puzzle. Interest in experimenting with a different type of engaging puzzle is also welcome.

Podcast: The Podcast section currently produces three series: The Student Sums it Up, Tusk Talks, and Terras Irradient. Staff members can host and direct episodes, edit audio, or pitch ideas for new episodes or series.

Photo: The Photo section takes and edits pictures to be used in articles across all sections. Staff members are also encouraged to pursue photojournalism projects of their own.

Design: The Design team creates and finalizes the layout of each print issue using Adobe InDesign. Staff members can also produce graphics and illustrations to be used in articles across all sections.

Digital: The Digital team works on all projects related to The Student’s website, from development to design. It is also potentially looking to undertake the development of an app for the paper.

Social Media: The Social Media team manages The Student’s official Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts. Staff members generate content promoting each week’s most important stories and develop strategies to increase user engagement.

Business: The Business team handles The Student’s finances and works to generate revenue streams to fund the paper’s production costs. Staff members respond to inquiries from, as well as conduct outreach to, potential advertisers. The team is also working to increase engagement with potential donors and develop a subscription service to readers outside of the college.