Comedian Sam Morrison Cracks Up Powerhouse

Student Engagement and Leadership hosted comedian Sam Morrison last week. Assistant Editor of Arts & Living Abby Kim ’27 recaps his set, including one unpredictable dinosaur impression.

Comedian Sam Morrison guzzles a container of almond milk onstage. Photo courtesy of Abby Kim ‘27.

On April 11, Student Engagement and Leadership (SEL) hosted a comedy show featuring Sam Morrison. Based in Brooklyn, Sam Morrison is a comedian and writer who has been a guest on programs including “Late Night with Seth Meyers” and “The Drew Barrymore Show,” taped a set for Comedy Central Featuring, and had a successful solo show “Sugar Daddy” which ran both in London and Off-Broadway. Morrison, who won the New Face award at the 2023 Just Laughs Festival, is also a regular at the Comedy Cellar, a Stand Up NBC finalist, and was a staff writer for Bravo’s TV show “Blind Date.”

The event was held in the Eighmy Powerhouse, where audience members were greeted with free drinks and snacks to enjoy while watching the show. Morrison strutted on stage in a classy green, blue, and white striped collared shirt paired with bold navy blue pants. The comedian was also holding a carton of almond milk along with his iced latte, which he set on the ground before approaching the microphone placed in the center of the stage.

As soon as Morrison reached the microphone, he immediately started cracking jokes about the projected images moving across the inner walls of the Powerhouse. Throughout the show, Morrison continuously kept the audience engaged with his set and frequently included audience members in his performance. Morrison talked to audience members throughout his show and used his acquired knowledge to generate more material.

Morrison didn’t only make fun of audience members — he made sure to make fun of himself as well. He frequently drew from his queer identity and sexual experiences. Morrison also utilized the almond carton he initially brought by randomly deciding to drink it, which caused the crowd to roar with laughter.

Morrison not only crafted jokes on the fly and used old reliable crowd-favorite material but also tested new jokes he formulated for Amherst’s audience. Morrison informed the audience that due to the audience’s small size and positive responsiveness to his other jokes that he felt comfortable in testing his new jokes. The funniest joke he tested, in my opinion, was his self-acclaimed impression of a screeching dinosaur where he simultaneously perked up his arms and dramatically tilted his head back.

Morrison was sent off with a cheering round of applause by audience members.