Amherst Baseball Sweeps Rival Williams, Secures Little Three Championship

Amherst baseball completed a three-game sweep of rival Williams College this past weekend, winning 4-0, 5-1 and 5-2 and improving their record to 7-2 overall. The Mammoths have now won their last five games and have claimed all three series against their opponents in the NESCAC West Division. With their wins this weekend, the Mammoths clinched the title of Little Three Champions, as they also won their series against Wesleyan at the beginning of the month.

Stellar starting pitching was the top story for the Mammoths over the weekend. Amherst pitchers gave up just three runs in all three games combined, only one of which was earned. Building off his dominant collegiate debut where he combined to throw the fourth no-hitter for Amherst in the past 50 years, Nick Giattino ’24 put together another strong performance in the first game of the Saturday doubleheader. Giattino went 6.2 innings, adding nine strikeouts and allowing only two hits before Alan Dai ’24 entered in relief to get the final out and secure the shutout. In a heavily defensive game with only six combined hits, the Mammoths got on the board early in the first inning after Chris Murphy ’22 drew a bases loaded walk. Daniel Qin ’22, who went three for four at the plate and was awarded NESCAC co-player of the week, added to the lead with RBI doubles in the fifth and sixth innings, while Michael Perales ’24 drove in a run on a fielder’s choice in the sixth inning.

Jacob Ribitzki ’24 followed up Giattino’s performance with a forceful outing of his own in game two of the doubleheader. Ribitzki pitched a complete game, striking out six batters and only allowing a single earned run for his second win of the year. The Mammoths jumped out to an early lead in the first inning when Luke Padian ’24, who holds this season’s team-high of nine RBIs, hit an RBI single. Jackson Reydel ’23 had a big day at the plate. He added three RBIs, including a two-run double in the fourth inning, which gave Amherst the lead after Williams had tied the game in the third. Tyler Marshall ’21 also added an RBI single in the fifth, going two for three in the game.

Sachin Nambiar ’22 started game three for the Mammoths on Sunday, pitching seven innings without allowing an earned run and striking out 10 batters to earn his second win of the season. The Mammoths once again started the game hot, plating four runs in the first inning on an RBI triple from Joe Palmo ’21 and RBI singles from Padian, Murphy and Dai. Williams put a run on the board in the second inning, but the Mammoths extended their lead in the fourth with another RBI single from Dai. After Ian Donahue ’24 pitched the eighth inning, giving up an unearned run on one hit, the Mammoths once again called on Dai to shut the door in the final inning. Dai ran into some trouble, loading the bases on a walk and two hit batters and bringing the tying run to the plate. But Dai finished the game by striking out three batters to complete the series sweep for the Mammoths.

The Mammoths will finish the regular season this coming weekend with a doubleheader against Middlebury College. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 1 at Memorial Field.