Around the Herd: Feb. 28 to March 5 in Athletics

In this week’s Around the Herd: The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the Tufts Qualifying Meet on Saturday, and women’s ice hockey was eliminated from the NESCAC tournament.

Zoë Marcus ’27, Casie Eifrig ’25, Piper Lentz ’26 and Julia Schor ’25 ran the distance medley relay with a 11:41.08 converted banked-track time, placing third in the contest and ninth in the DIII. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios.

Men’s Track and Field

The men’s track and field team competed in Saturday’s Tufts Qualifying Meet, their last indoor invitational meet before upcoming national competition.

Parker Boyle ’27, Kolya Markov-Riss ’24, Ben Davis ’26, and Henry Dennen ’26 ran the distance medley, placing third with a time of 9:54.46. As a flat-track time, their mark converts to a 9:46.50 in the more conventional banked-track time — a season best for the relay team.

Michael Abbey Jr. ’27 finished in third place for the triple jump, posting 14.15m in the contest.

Selected athletes will participate in the NCAA DIII National championships this upcoming weekend in Virginia.  

Women’s Track and Field
The women’s track and field team also sent a few athletes to run in the Tufts Qualifying Meet.

Zoë Marcus ’27, Casie Eifrig ’25, Piper Lentz ’26 and Julia Schor ’25 ran the distance medley relay with a 11:41.08 converted banked-track time, placing third in the contest and ninth in the DIII.

Mia Bawendi ’24 placed fifth in the pole vault with a mark of 3.53m.

The team will send selected athletes to Virginia this weekend for the NCAA DIII National championships.

Women’s Ice Hockey
The women’s ice hockey team was eliminated from the NESCAC tournament in a semifinal loss to Hamilton. In the first seven minutes of the game, Hamilton scored back-to-back goals, and, although Rylee Glennon ’25 was able to pull one back, they lost 2-1.

Nevertheless, Amherst was selected for the DIII National Championship. Their first match in the round of 16 will be this Saturday against either Cortland or Elmira.