Around the Herd: Feb. 8 to Feb. 14

In this week’s edition of Around the Herd, catch up on all the Mammoths’ latest results, including two wins by Women's Basketball and an Amherst athlete earning NESCAC Diver of the Year.

Around the Herd: Feb. 8 to Feb. 14
Kori Barach ’25 eyes the basket during the team’s win over Bowdoin. Photo courtesy of Amherst College.

Women’s Hockey

In the team’s only game of the week, Rylee Glennon ’24 scored two goals as the Mammoths defeated Suffolk University 2-0 on Monday, Feb. 13. With no goals in the first period,  both of Glennon’s scores came in the second, one in the final seconds of the game. On the defensive end, Natalie Stott ’26 made 21 saves to secure her eighth shutout of the season. The Mammoths won 31 of the 51 face-offs and killed off both Suffolk power-plays while going one for 5. The Mammoths improved their record to 20-2-0 for the season and will face rival Williams on Friday.

Men’s Hockey

Amherst’s 41 shots on goal were not enough to avoid a 2-0 loss to Tufts University on Friday. However, on Saturday, Feb. 11, the Mammoths won 4-0 in a Senior Day shutout of Connecticut College. Senior Dan Dachille ’23 achieved 20 saves, while senior Evan Lichman ’23 scored the first goal of his career. The win placed Amherst’s season record at 14-5-3 overall, with a NESCAC record of 12-3-1. The Mammoths’ next game is against rival Williams on Feb. 17.

Women’s Basketball

Women's basketball team won two NESCAC games over the weekend, beating Colby 56-42 on Friday and Bowdoin 64-45 on Saturday. The weekend's second game featured a 24-point performance from guard Kori Barach ’25. The win over Colby moved the Mammoths to a four-way tie for fifth place with Bates, Bowdoin, and Hamilton, while the win over Bowdoin secured the sixth seed in the NESCAC Tournament. The Mammoths will play third-seeded Trinity on Saturday, Feb. 18, in the quarterfinals.

Men’s Basketball

During Friday night’s game, Ryker Vance ’25 set a career record with 20 points, but ultimately the men’s basketball team lost 71-56 to Colby College. The following evening the Mammoths were able to finish their season strong with a 56-39 win at Bowdoin College. This was thanks in part to Will Phelan ’23, who scored a season-high 15 points despite only recently recovering from a month long injury. Amherst finished their season with a 10-14 record.

Men’s and Women’s Squash

The women's squash team won 6-3 against Middlebury on Saturday but lost 0-9 to Trinity on Sunday, Feb. 12. The men's team won 8-1 against Bates on Saturday but lost 0-9 to Trinity on the same date.

Women’s Swim and Dive

Over the past week, the women’s swim team competed at the 2023 NESCAC Championships, hosted by Bowdoin. They finished in third place with a total of 1107 points, behind Tufts who won with 1984.5 points and Williams in second with 1614.5 points. After winning two of the diving events, Sydney Bluestein ’25 was recognized as the NESCAC Diver of the Year. Additionally, assistant diving coach Kai Robinson ’09, was awarded Diving Coach of the Year for the fifth year running.

Men’s and Women’s Track

Over the weekend the track and field teams competed in events at the Middlebury Field and Track Meet and the David Hemery Valentine Invitational. The women's team won three events at the Middlebury and set a season-best time in the distance medley relay at the Valentine Invitational. Meanwhile, the men's team won four events at Middlebury and set times among the nation’s best at the Valentine Invitational. Six Amherst athletes qualified for the New England Division III Championships. The track and field teams will compete next Saturday, Feb. 19, in the Triangle Classic at Springfield College.