Around the Herd: March 27 to April 2 in Athletics

In this week’s Around the Herd: Men’s lacrosse falls to Lynchburg, tennis teams dominate, and the school discus record is broken.

Men’s lacrosse to face Williams this weekend after 13-15 loss to Lynchburg. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios.

Men’s Lacrosse

On Saturday, the men’s lacrosse team fell 13-15 to the University of Lynchburg in their seventh match this season. Although Bob Gross ’26 and Brendan Reilly ’27 scored the first two goals of the game, Lynchburg immediately struck back with six unanswered goals. The Mammoths were never able to get back into the game as Lynchburg went on to make the score 14-8 by the end of the third quarter. In the last thirty seconds, Reilly scored off of a Gross assist to make the game 13-15, but there wasn’t enough time to get Amherst back in the lead. Alex Giacobbe ’25 scored six goals on the day, including three straight in the fourth quarter.

The Amherst men’s lacrosse team will face Williams on Saturday.

Baseball

The baseball team played three games against Wesleyan University over the weekend.

In the first, only Charlie LaFreniere ’27 recorded a run for Amherst, and it was off a sacrifice flyout by Jack Boyle ’25. Nevertheless, the game was tied at 0-0 and 1-1 by the end of all nine innings. But, at the top of the tenth inning, the Cardinals scored four runs in a row, including a two-run home run. The Mammoths were unable to respond in the following half inning, and lost 1-5.

Amherst played the second game in Middletown, Connecticut, flipping the previous game’s score to win the game 5-1. The game was mostly won on the defensive end, as Nicholas Giattino ’24 only allowed the Cardinals to record one hit over the first six innings of the game. The Mammoths shined offensively too, as Ryan McIntyre ’25 was able to score a run or an RBI on each of his at bats. Also, Christian Fagnant ’24 and Luke Padian ’24 each recorded a run and RBI to cap off Amherst’s dominating performance.

Later that afternoon in Connecticut, Wesleyan was much more aggressive, building a 6-1 lead by the end of the fifth inning. Jack Sampedro ’25, Tyler McCord ’26, and LaFreniere each hit RBI-singles in the sixth inning to make it a 6-5 game, but the Mammoths were unable to score again, and fell to Wesleyan 7-5.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team faced Hamilton College on Saturday. The team dominated the doubles round by taking a 3-0 lead before even beginning the singles matches. Still, the Mammoths only lost in the first seat, as their incredible depth was able to overpower Hamilton College, defeating the Continentals 8-1. Edred Opie ’25 won his match in three sets, and maintains his undefeated record in the team’s second seat.

The Mammoths improve to 8-2 and will face Colby College this weekend.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team began their Saturday doubleheader against the University of Rochester. Although Amherst lost one of the doubles seats, they dominated in every other seat throughout the ladder. In the other two doubles matches, Amherst didn’t lose a single game while in the rest of the ladder, they didn’t lose a single set. Karolina Dobiecka ’26 didn’t lose a single game in her fifth seat win. The final score was 8-1.

The Mammoths followed up their performance against Rochester with another 8-1 victory over Hamilton College. Each match was much closer as they mostly went to at least ten games per set, however, the Mammoths only ended up dropping the first seat of the singles ladder while sweeping all the doubles matches.

Amherst will face Colby College this weekend.

Men’s Track and Field

The men’s track and field team went to Bryant University to compete in the Black & Gold invitational. David Brown ’25 broke the 62 year old Amherst discus record with a mark of 45.91m, but, surprisingly, was not one of the three Amherst winners of the meet. Alexander Nichols ’26 won the 100m with a time of 10.81—a personal best for Nichols. Cody Pierce ’26 finished the 200m in 22.08 seconds to win out against 31 other opponents. Kaleb Barrett’s ’27 13.34m in the triple jump was enough for a personal best and a victory in the contest.

The Mammoths will host the Amherst Spring Fling this upcoming weekend.

Women’s Track and Field

This past weekend, the women’s track and field competed in the Black & Gold invitational at Bryant University. With a mark of 39.24m, Emma Ramsingh ’27 broke the Amherst school record in the Discus throw. Julia Schor ’25 was the top DIII finisher at the meet with a time of 17:23.66 in the 5000m. Myeh Medina ’26 finished in a personal best 1:05.96 to secure third place in the 400m hurdles.

The track and field team will compete in Amherst this upcoming weekend in the Amherst Spring Fling.

Softball

For their last fixture, the softball team held a doubleheader against Wesleyan University. Although the game was tied for the first three innings, Wesleyan went on an unanswered streak of nine runs which triggered the five inning mercy rule to secure a 9-0 loss for the Mammoths. In the following game, however, Amherst immediately hit the ground running. Jenna Holmes ’27  and Olivia Aitkin ’26 both scored their first collegiate home runs which propelled the team to a 6-0 lead by the top of the fourth inning. The Cardinals began to fight back, even taking a one run lead by the top of the fifth inning, but the Mammoths immediately responded with two runs of their own and managed to keep the game scoreless until the end. They won 9-8.

The softball team’s record improved to 3-9, as they get ready to face Tufts this weekend.