Around the Herd: Sept. 21 to Sept. 27

Around the Herd provides quick updates on all the Amherst sports action you may have missed in the past week. In this week’s installment: field hockey flourishes, both golf teams thrive, and women’s tennis concludes their fall season.

Around the Herd: Sept. 21 to Sept. 27
In this edition of "Around the Herd," read about the field hockey team’s dominant wins over NESCAC opponents Bates and Colby, both golf teams' second-place finish at the Bowdoin (men's) and Williams (women's) Invitationals, and the women's tennis team's success at the ITA regional.

Field Hockey

Field hockey was outstanding during their Maine trip, outscoring their opponents 11-1. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios. 

The field hockey team traveled to Maine this weekend to take on Bates and Colby, defeating both teams in dominant fashion.

Playing No. 11 Bates on Saturday, Sept. 24, the Mammoths walked away with a resounding 5-0 win. Kat Mason ’25 scored twice, along with Beth Williamson ’23E, Muffie Mazambani ’24, and Jacki D’Alleva ’23, while Natalie Hobbs ’23E added two assists. The Mammoths held a 13-7 advantage in shots, though the Bobcats led 8-3 in corners.

The Mammoths carried their momentum into Sunday’s contest, defeating Colby 6-1. The two teams were level at one goal apiece after the first quarter, but the Mammoths pulled away from there, adding two goals in the second quarter, two more in the third, and one in the final frame. Shots were 22-7 in favor of the Mammoths, and Hobbs led the way with two goals and an assist.

With these two victories, the Mammoths, ranked No. 9 in the nation, are now 5-2 overall and 2-2 against NESCAC opponents. They have won three games in a row, outscoring their opponents 14-1 during that span. Up next on the schedule is the always anticipated game against Williams, scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. in Williamstown, Massachusetts, on Saturday, Oct. 1. The Mammoths will then play a home game against Connecticut College on Tuesday, Oct. 4.

Men’s Golf

The men's golf team placed second out of a 15-team field at the Bowdoin Invitational. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios. 

The men’s golf team put forward their best performance of the busy fall season at the Bowdoin Invitational this past weekend, finishing tied for second out of 15 teams. Their two-day total of 609 was only two strokes behind the victorious team.

Mark Vitels ’26 posted the best score for the Mammoths — his total score of 150 (+6) was tied for fourth out of the 79 total golfers and only two strokes behind the three-way tie at the top of the leaderboard. Steven Chen ’25 finished just a stroke behind his first-year teammate with a two-day total of 151 (+7) that tied him for seventh. Paari Kaviyarasu ’26 and John Beskid ’26 weren’t far behind, each finishing with a total of 154, tied for 14th. Teddy Freking ’25 rounded out the card with a 163.

The Mammoths will play in the Blazer Invitational next weekend, a local tournament that takes place in Hampshire County. Day one will be played at the Ledges Golf Club in South Hadley on Saturday, Oct. 1, while day two will take place at Cold Spring Country Club in Belchertown on Sunday, Oct. 2.

Women’s Golf

Women's golf finished second of nine teams at the Williams Invitational this weekend. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios. 

In their second tournament of the fall season, the women’s golf team posted another second-place finish, this time at the Williams Invitational. Their two-day total of 617 was just seven strokes behind the winners.

Jessica Huang ’25 led the way with a score of 147 over two days, good for a second-place finish overall. Priya Bakshi ’24, who was extremely consistent over day one and two with scores of 76 and 77 respectively, finished tied for 10th with a total of 153. Gihoe Seo ’25 tied for 18th with a two-day score of 157, while Jenny Hua ’24 and Kaia Wu ’26 rounded out the card with scores of 161 and 165, respectively.

Still looking to defend their title as NESCAC champions, the Mammoths continue their fall season this weekend with a trip to Middlebury, Vermont, to play in the Phinney Classic on Saturday, Oct. 1, and Sunday, Oct. 2.

Women’s Tennis

Women's tennis played in their final tournament of the fall at the ITA Division III Regionals. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios. 

In the conclusion of their fall season, the women’s tennis team played in the ITA Division III New England Regional Championships this past weekend, which was hosted by Williams.

Amy Cui ’25 was the Mammoths’ best performer. Seeded sixth, Cui won four games in the 64-player A singles bracket before falling in the semifinals to the eventual tournament champion. Cui also teamed up with Katelyn Hart ’25 for the doubles bracket, in which the pair reached the quarterfinals. Sophie Diop ’26, who was seeded fourth in the singles draw, reached the round of 16, and the pair of Diop and Madeleine Swire ’26 reached the round of 32 in the doubles bracket. Calista Sha ’23 fell in the round of 32 in the singles bracket, and she and Julia Lendel ’24 lost in the second round of the doubles tournament.

The Mammoths will now hibernate during these upcoming colder months, preparing for the grueling spring season ahead.