BSU — In Response to the Decline in Diversity

The Black Student Union criticizes the administration for not taking sufficient measures to prevent the decline in Black student enrollment, urging immediate action to address the issue in future admissions cycles.

As members of the Black Student Union, we are deeply frustrated and outraged by the alarming 72% drop in domestic Black first-year student enrollment at Amherst College. This sharp decline stands as a contradiction to President Michael Elliott’s assurances that the Supreme Court’s decision to end affirmative action would not drastically impact Amherst’s diversity. Yet, here we are, witnessing a significant decrease in Black representation on campus, while other institutions have not faced the same trend.

This betrayal is more than disappointing — it’s a violation of trust. Over the past year, President Michael Elliott repeatedly spoke about Amherst’s commitment to diversity, making promises that now feel like empty rhetoric. What we once believed were genuine commitments now seem like convenient soundbites, used to score points with alumni and students. The Black community feels exploited and deeply hurt by President Elliott, the Board of Trustees, and the admissions office. We were paraded as symbols of diversity, yet when it mattered most, we were abandoned. This is not just a failure of leadership; it is a failure to protect and value the very students you claim to champion.

President Elliott and Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Matthew McGann are now scrambling to release plans, but it’s far too late. We can’t help but ask: Where were these plans during the last admissions cycle? Why weren’t these issues addressed proactively last year? And why have other institutions managed to avoid the same consequences? This failure reflects a clear inability to fulfill their jobs. Leadership should be about foresight and action, not last-minute damage control.

This decline in Black enrollment will have a major impact on the sense of community, belonging, and representation for Black students at Amherst. Fewer Black voices means a more isolated and marginalized experience for those of us who remain, diminishing the diversity of perspectives that strengthen our campus.

We urge Dean McGann and the entire administration to take actionable steps towards improving the recruitment and retention not only of students but also of faculty and staff from underrepresented groups. This means prioritizing outreach to diverse communities, increasing financial and social support for students of color, and fostering an environment that actively values and respects differences. We call on the administration to take immediate action and hopefully repair the damage they have caused for the next class.

We want to reinforce the fact that diversity is not just beneficial to Black students and students of color, but to every student at Amherst in order to enrich their experience here and be more prepared for the world at large. We call on not only Black alumni — all alumni should protest this lack of care from the institution and cease donations and funding to the college until the administration clearly outlines their steps to address the situation.