Cross Country Ends Season Well at NCAA Championships

The women’s cross country team finished their season with a 12th place finish at NCAA DIII Championships. Mary Kate McGranahan ’23 finished an excellent senior campaign by earning All-America honors.

Mary Kate McGranahan ’23 earned All-America honors at the NCAA DIII Championships. Photo courtesy of Mark Evrard, d3photography.com.

The No. 13 women’s cross country team finished their season with a 12th-place finish at the NCAA Division III Championships in Lansing, Michigan, on Saturday, Nov. 12. As has become the standard this season, Mary-Kate McGranahan ’23 led the way for the Mammoths, capping her stellar senior season off by earning All-America honors.

The Mammoths qualified for nationals by earning an at-large bid after placing second in the Mideast Region the week prior. McGranahan, who finished in second place the week before, finished the 6k course on a snowy day in Michigan in 22:31.3, placing 25th out of a field of 293 total runners. This was McGranahan’s second time competing at Nationals, and she improved on her 77th-place finish from the year before. As a top-40 finisher, McGranahan was named an All-American for her performance.

Sophie Wolmer ’23 was the next Mammoth to finish the course, crossing the finish line in 23:02.4 to finish 61st overall. Allison Lounsbury ’26 placed 108th with a time of 23:30.8, and fellow first-year Daphne Theiler ’26 crossed close behind, finishing in 116th place with a time of 23:45.5. Claire Callon ’24 was the final Mammoth scorer, who placed 125th after completing the course in 23:36.9, improving on her 280th-place finish from her debut at Nationals last season.

The Mammoths finished 12th overall out of a field of 32 total teams, the team’s best finish at Nationals since placing 11th in 2014. Theo Dassin ’24 was the lone runner from the men’s team who earned an at-large bid to Nationals. In his debut performance at the competition, Dassin finished in 100th place out of 294 runners, crossing the line in 26:05.5.