Democracy's Most Important Tool

In President Dwight Eisenhower’s last speech as the leader of our land, he urged us all to preserve democracy and not let it become “the insolvent phantom of tomorrow.” We must, in our current political climate, heed such a warning. Our most revolutionary political project, one spawned nearly two and a half centuries ago in Philadelphia, requires that its citizens engage in their own rule. With this requirement, we are tasked with taking our voices and arguments to the public square, in an attempt to both preserve our own ideas and convince others of their merits. We believe, with much lament, that our society has moved away from such a practice, and instead has veered towards the type of emotionally-charged mob rule that our founders rightly warned against. This move has noticeable implications, turning classmate against classmate and turning political rival into moral enemy.

In order to move back towards a place that is fruitful for all, we must return to the traditions that are designed to allow a diverse country, with different backgrounds, ideas and experiences, to find an all-important common ground. One of these traditions is, of course, voting a keystone of our democratic republic.

We doubt our pleas in this publication will do much to convince our fellow classmates to vote for our favored candidates. While we believe there have been numerous successes under the current government, namely in the economy, the judiciary branch and foreign policy, all of which motivate us to support GOP candidates this November, we also understand the position of the opposition quite well, which motivated millions across the country in both 2010 and 2014. It appears that this same trend will reappear in 2018, although that hinges on one action: voting.

Regardless of political affiliation, state of residence or level of general interest in politics, we address each of you with a simple plea — vote. As we all grow older, the impetus falls on us to take the country in the direction we favor, and to preserve the ideals that make America a special place. While there are many things we can do to make our voice heard at all times of a political cycle, that voice is silenced without taking it to the polls in November. So, in the end, please do just that, as we all work to ensure our country fulfills its great potential, both now and in the future.