Dynamic, dependable XC duo leads Jeffs again

Junior All-American co-captain Shauneen Garrahan ’07 led the women once again to glory once again, crossing the finish line in third place of 301 racers with a time of 17:44. As usual, Tomas Morrissey ’08 led the men, finishing in 19th place among 321 runners in 25:35.

Women

All the scorers for the women’s team ended the race in the top 100 positions with times well under 20 minutes. Following Garrahan, Kim Partee ’08 came in 27th with a time of 18:44, Nicole Anderson ’09 came in 41st with a time of 19:00, Heather Wilson ’08 came in 73rd with a time of 19:27, and Laura Mortimer ’08 capped off the scoring in 98th place with a time of 19:42.

Once again, Garrahan’s teammates were full of praise. “Third in the New England Open-that’s pretty darn incredible,” said Margaret Ray ’08. “Because there were schools from all divisions there, the competition was really intense.”

Men

For the men, Morrissey’s 19th-place showing was just 39 seconds behind meet champion Owen Washburn of Brown University. First-year phenom Harrison Lakehomer took second for the Amherst men in 58th place, while Wilson, Mike Harbus ’08 and Cooper Knowlton ’07 nabbed 97th, 115th and 120th places, respectively. Rob Boley ’07 and co-captain Dave Schreiner ’06 rounded out the varsity men, and all finished with respectable times under 29 minutes.

“The run was slow because of the bad weather,” commented Wilson. “But of the Div. III schools. Hopefully, we can carry our early season momentum into championship season, maybe sneak up and dominate some teams at the regional meet.”

Next up for both teams is the annual Little Three Championship hosted by Williams College.