Field Hockey Tops Wesleyan in NESCAC Match

The field hockey team took on Little Three rival Wesleyan on Oct. 5 in another NESCAC matchup, both teams bringing their 1-4 NESCAC records to Gooding Field. The Mammoths controlled play from the start, outshooting Wesleyan 7-1 in the first half. However, neither team was able to score in the first 30 minutes of play.

The weather warmed up as the game went along, and so did both teams. Amherst looked like the better team for the entire game and finally broke through late in the third quarter. The goal came off a corner where a shot by Anna Agathis ’21 was deflected into the back of the net by Franny Daniels ’21. The goal by Daniels was her fifth of the season and tied her with Beth Williamson ’22 for most goals. Agathis recorded her first assist of the season with the goal.

Amherst did not hold the lead for very long, though, as Wesleyan scored less than a minute later to tie the game. The two teams headed to the fourth quarter tied at 1-1.

Amherst had a great opportunity to take the lead early in the last quarter when they were awarded a penalty stroke after a corner.

But Wesleyan’s goalkeeper made a tremendous save to keep the score knotted at 1-1 and prevent Amherst from grabbing the lead.

The Mammoths did not let this impact their play, however, as they continued to put pressure on the Cardinals. Amherst was able to grab the lead just a few minutes later when Kiera Alventosa ’21 scored for the second consecutive game.

Alventosa got the ball in front of the goal with no defenders around her and was able to strike it past the goalie to give the Mammoths the lead.

The score remained 2-1 for the rest of the game as Wesleyan was unable to score an equalizing goal. The defense was strong down the stretch as Amherst prevented Wesleyan from scoring in the fourth. In goal, Emile Flamme ’20 recorded two saves for the Mammoths.

The victory for Amherst brought their record to 6-4 overall and 2-4 in NESCAC play. The game was another example of a competitive matchup between NESCAC schools, something we have seen a lot of this fall.

When asked about the intensity of the game, Daniels said, “the best part about playing in the NESCAC is that nothing is ever the same, no game is an easy game.”

“We knew Wesleyan was going to show up with fire after beating Tufts [last week]. And we definitely felt that on the field. But we battled and worked together to get the result we wanted,” she said.

“It was a true team effort. Every person did what they needed to do, and we supported each other the whole way.”

Playing as a team and staying tough has been a focus for the Mammoths all season, and their hard work was rewarded on Saturday against Wesleyan.

Amherst will be back in action next Saturday, Oct. 12, when they take on Tufts. It will be senior day for the Mammoths in their final home game of the year.