Field Hockey: Youth is on Jeffs' side in '05

The absence of nine experienced players and the addition of eight first-years on the roster means that the beginning of the season will be spent figuring out a new team dynamic on the field.

“There are many promising rising sophomores as well as incoming first-years,” Head Coach Carol Knerr said. Many of these players will get the chance to take over some of the empty positions on the field.

Among the members of the class of 2005 was senior K.C. Cosentino, who had filled the role of starting goalie for three years. Cosentino made 240 saves for the Jeffs during her career. Sophomore Kathleen Boucher and first-year Jane Mostue will vie to replace her in the net.

Anchoring the defense will be Amy Watson ’07, a veteran starter for the Jeffs. Joining Watson is midfielder Carolyn Shea ’08, who had an impressive rookie season in which she started nearly every game.

Tri-captain midfielder Katherine Skrivan ’06, a 2004 All-NESCAC pick, will lead the offense, along with midfielder Rachel Carr-Harris ’07. Skrivan tallied a team-best 18 points on six goals and six assists last season. Carr-Harris finished the season with three goals and seven assists.

Joining Skrivan as captains are midfielder Erin O’Hare ’06 and forward Molly Gilbert ’06, both of whom boast significant playing experience.

“We’re definitely looking to our seniors to provide leadership on and off the field,” said Knerr. “The three of them all have a lot of playing experience.”

With so much change to the lineup, the team is concentrating strictly on the present and near future.

“Right now, we’re focusing on our preseason,” said Knerr. “We have scrimmages at Mount Holyoke and Trinity Colleges like we do every year.”

The main task for the team during the upcoming weeks is to integrate many less experienced players with the remaining upperclassmen.

“We’re looking to just work hard as a team, to gel and play together and prepare for our first game against Trinity,” said Knerr. For their season-opener, the Jeffs will host the Trinity College Bantams on Hitchcock Field on Sept. 10 at 11 a.m.

Until the Jeffs compete against other teams, it will be very difficult to predict what they can achieve this season. Despite the uncertainty looming over the team as the season commences, the women are approaching this season with a positive attitude.

“It’s going to be a really exciting season because of all the opportunities and all the potential that these players have,” said Knerr.