Green Amherst Project Statement on Board of Trustees Decision

On Tuesday, Feb. 24 in an open letter to the Amherst College community, the board of trustees voted to “not endorse divestment of the endowment from fossil fuels,” but stated their intentions to “incorporate environmental considerations into their investment decisions,” with investment managers who “thoughtfully and consistently incorporate environmental considerations into the investment process.” The board has not provided a timeline for its proposed goals.

On Tuesday night, the Green Amherst Project met to discuss the implications of the board’s statement, and stated the following:

“The Green Amherst Project endorses many of the values expressed by the board of trustees in Feb. 24’s statement. We look forward to working with the board to achieve our shared goal of responsible investment of our endowment, as climate change is an issue on which we cannot afford to wait. Moreover, we maintain that the endgame of responsible investment is divestment.”

The Green Amherst Project will continue to push for student involvement in holding the board accountable to its proposals, regarding the creation of a revolving green fund, building relationships with investment managers and further discussion about what percentage of the endowment the college will work to invest sustainably. It will be critical for students, faculty, and staff to campaign for greater transparency regarding the college’s investments and how they are chosen.