Indoor track returns several star runners

Although both teams suffered losses due to graduation, many star runners will return to the track. “For both teams, we will return a lot of the big scorers from last years team with the key losses being Aly Venti [’04] for the women and Janak Chandrasoma [’04] for the men,” said Nedeau.

Women’s Track

Nedeau explained the team’s dynamics. “The women will be a similar team to last year in that we will be small, but come the championships, I think that we will be able to score a lot of points as we are very heavy in quality,” he said.

One woman in particular stole the show for the Jeffs at Nationals last March. Senior co-captain Carter Hamill ran the 5000-meter race in a time of 16:46.63, securing her second indoor national championship, setting a new site record, earning All-American honors and finishing a good 30 seconds before the second-place runner.

“Carter Hamill will seek to lower her school records she set last year in the 3000- and 5000-meters and go for her third national title in the 5k,” said sophomore running sensation Shauneen Garrahan.

In addition to running the 5k at Nationals, Hamill joined Garrahan in the distance medley relay (DMR). Garrahan worked with juniors Ginger Polich and Ariel Haney to round out the squad. The women finished in second place with a time of 11:52.48, earning All-American honors in the process. “Our distance medley relay team will be aiming to repeat a strong performance at nationals,” said Garrahan.

Garrahan commented on the team’s potential. “We’re really looking forward to another strong season, returning most of last year’s team that placed third at Div. III New Englands and gaining a large group of talented freshmen,” she said.

Men’s Track

The men are proud of their fine accomplishments from last year, including sending a squad to compete in the DMR at Nationals. Chandrasoma and seniors Dave Molina, Jack Morgan and Mike Page finished in 10:07.52, good for sixth place and All-American honors. Because three of the four men return this season, the team expects a repeat performance.

Molina looks to be a viable force in the 1500-meter race, as his times were exceptional at the conclusion of the season last year. In fact, his times were good enough to earn him a provisional national qualification.

The team is very excited to welcome Page back to the team. “It will be great to have Page back this season,” said Richard Wilson ’07. A healthy Page will be a formidable competitor running the 5000-meter.

Nedeau is expecting the returning team members to repeat their past successes. “The men should do very well in the middle and long distances as well as in the relays,” he said.

Although they will return for Interterm training, the teams will compete in their first meet on Nov. 29th in the Husky Invitational at Northeastern University.