Jeffs top Hartwick, M.I.T., stay undefeated

The men began the M.I.T. competition with wins in the first two events of the day. Rick Estacio ’06, Bryan Woo ’06, Mike Pohorylo ’04 and senior co-captain Pat Kennedy dominated the 200-yard medley relay. Next, Adam Lewkowitz ’06 left the rest of the 1000-yard freestylers in the dust, winning his race by over 2.5 seconds. Lewkowitz also took first place in the 500-yard freestyle later on during the meet.

Co-captain diver Ben Hopkins ’03 continued his supremacy on the boards, setting school records in the one- and three-meter competitions. In the one-meter event, he scored a whopping 310.15, breaking the record by 9.65 points. Hopkins also broke the old school record of 312.075 in the three-meter with 326.85 points. “He’s short, but he sure can dive,” said Kennedy.

Woo also performed well, winning all four of his events. Besides the relay, he finished first in the 50-yard freestyle, the 100-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly events.

Estacio and Pohorylo had two individual wins each. Estacio placed first in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke events and Pohorylo won the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events.

The next day, the team traveled to upstate New York to face Hartwick College. There was no evidence of strain from the scheduling of meets on back-to-back days, as the visiting Lord Jeffs took nine of the first 11 events from the Hawks.

Hopkins and Ed Hagerty ’06 headed the Amherst effort with two individual first-place finishes apiece. Hopkins continued his individual unbeaten streak in the one- and three-meter diving competitions, while Hagerty won both the 400-yard individual medley as well as the 200-yard backstroke.

Also swimming well for Amherst was Jeff Sunderland ’03, who recorded a first-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle to go along with a first in the 200-yard butterfly versus M.I.T.

On Saturday, Feb. 8, Amherst faces Union College at home, the Jeffs’ final dual meet of the season before the NESCAC Championships on Feb. 28 in Williamstown.

“If we can swim up to our potential like I think we can,” said Kennedy, “if we go in there with confidence, we’ll do just fine.”