Field Hockey Battles Tufts, But Falls Short in Battle of NESCAC Powers

Coming into the game with two wins last weekend, Amherst field hockey fell short 1-0 to national No. 3 Tufts in a hard fought match-up.

Coming off two big wins last weekend against Wesleyan and Bates, the Mammoths entered into the weekend ranked ninth in the country and in third place in the NESCAC. On the other hand, their opposition started the weekend with similar momentum: Tufts entered the game with a 6-1 record, ranked third nationally, and in second place in the NESCAC.

The Mammoths were looking forward to a close game, traveling to Medford, Mass. to take on Tufts.

Despite a hard-fought battle, the Mammoths fell short by only one goal, losing 1-0 on a ninth minute goal from Tufts’ Beth Kirkorian.

The Mammoths put their first shot on goal in the sixth minute of action when Jackie D'Alleva ’23 sent an attempt from the left half of the circle, which the Jumbos' keeper saved. D’Alleva would have another chance after the Jumbos’ goal, with a back-hand shot that rolled just wide of the right post at the 11-minute mark.

The second period proved to be a defensive stalemate, with no shots being recorded for either team. After an uneventful third period, the Mammoths controlled the fourth. They gained the momentum, getting two shots off and forcing the Tufts’ keeper to make two big saves. Early in the period, Natalie Hobbs ’23 intercepted a transfer from Tufts’ backfield and took on the keeper in an attempt to even the score, but the shot was again saved.

Amherst goalkeeper Sara Nidus ’24 made three saves in the game to keep the Mammoths close, but it would not be enough.  The team would come up short after 60 minutes of a heavily contested game.

With this recent loss, Amherst moves to a 9-3 on the season and 5-3 in conference play, ranked fourth in the NESCAC as they enter the postseason.

Reflecting on the game Abbey Kays ’25 said, “It was a very disappointing loss, but I think the entire team put their best effort into the game. We are all looking forward to another chance to face Tufts in the postseason.”

On Saturday, Oct. 23, the Mammoths will take on Colby, their second to last NESCAC opponent, at 11:00 a.m. on Hill Field.