Men's tennis looking forward to dry forecasts, taking on rival Williams

Despite having not played a match in two full weeks, the Jeffs had no difficulty shaking the rust off their games at Conn. on April 1, winning 7-0 and making fools out of the Camels, who won just 10 games in nine matches. Josh Rilla ’06 along with first-years Jeffrey Wan and Tal Avrahami each bageled their opponents in both sets, winning with flawless 6-0, 6-0 scores. Danny Babkes ’06, Lenny Lepner ’07 and Jon Godsall ’06 also won their singles matches in straight sets, and no doubles team lost more than one game in their eight-game pro sets.

The Jeffs were able to win with only a little more difficulty the following day at Wesleyan. The first five singles spots were taken down in order by the Jeffs, who won each match in straight sets. The only loss of the afternoon came as Karti Subramanian dropped his number six singles match in three sets. Subramanian won the first set 6-4 and forced the second set to a tie-breaker before finally capitulating 6-1 in the third.

The Jeffs once again swept the doubles matches. As with the day before, Amherst’s younger players played key roles, as rookie Michael Mintz won his singles match 6-4, 6-4 while playing in the fourth spot, and Avrahami and Wan teamed to win the number three doubles match. Sophomore transfer Lenny Lepner also won his second match in as many days. If the Jeffs hope to continue winning against more difficult opponents, the youngest members of the squad will need to keep playing at the level at which they have demonstrated they are capable.

With more difficult NESCAC opponents looming on the horizon, most notably Williams College scheduled for a match on Saturday, the team’s lack of practice against more disciplined squads could be of some concern. Due to the numerous cancellations and postponements of matches against more stiff competition, the Jeffs will come into Williamstown without having faced a difficult opponent since Spring Break.

The team is fairly confident, however, that it will be prepared when it comes time to face the hated Ephs. “We’ve just been focused on getting the wins against teams we should beat,” said captain Max Rettig ’05. “It might have been nice to play that match against BC, but I think we’re getting into top form heading into the tougher part of our schedule.”

Although the Jeffs have fallen to the Ephs the last two years, the squad looks primed for revenge, returning five of their top six singles players from last season in addition to the recruitment of numerous impact freshman and transfers. “We’re focused for Saturday,” said Rettig. “We’ve had our eyes on Williams for a long time and I think our guys are perfectly capable of beating them.”