Men’s Golf Fails to Qualify For NESCAC Championship in Spring

The Amherst men’s golf team competed this past Saturday at the NESCAC Qualifier, which consisted of 10 teams and took place at the par-72 Lyman Orchards Golf Course in Middlefield, Connecticut.

Starting the tournament seeded in sixth place, the Mammoths ended up finishing the weekend still in sixth place, scoring 314 on the first day and 301 on the second for combined total of 615.

Amherst’s Cameron Clark ’20 led the team, shooting a score of 149 on the weekend, carding a 74 during the first day and shooting one stroke worse on the second. Sophomores Nicholas Kumamoto and Will Lonnquist shot matching 82s on Saturday and 74s on Sunday to finish off the tournament with scores of 156. Jack Burlison ’19 followed close behind the two sophomores, scoring 79 on the first day and 78 on the second for a combined total of 157. Burlison was the last Amherst team member to be on the scorecard.

Middlebury ended up winning the NESCAC Qualifier after carding a combined total of 587 strokes over the course of the weekend. With their sixth-place finish, the Mammoths failed to earn one of the top-four spots needed to qualify for the spring’s NESCAC Team Championship. However, Clark’s individual score, which earned him 11th on the weekend, qualified him to play in the spring’s individual championship.

Amherst will close out its season this coming weekend at the Elms Invitational in Chicopee, Massachusetts.