Men’s Golf Showcases Depth at Williams Fall Invitational

This past weekend, the Amherst men’s golf team competed at the Williams Fall Invitational, which took place at the Taconic Golf Club in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

The Mammoths ended up finishing in 13th place overall out of 20 teams.

The Mammoths’ rival and the invitational host, Williams, placed first overall with a score of 588.

Husson University took the silver medal with a score of 605, followed by Trinity, which finished only two strokes behind.

Although it may not have been as strong a showing as the team had hoped, the Mammoths received strong performances from several of their young players.

For instance, first-year Erik Zetterstrom was able to take 37th overall, finishing 15-over-par and leading the Amherst team in scoring over the weekend. The Mammoths’ second-leading scorer was another first year, Brian Aslanian, who placed 62nd overall.

Nicholas Kumamoto ’20 and Jack Burlison ’19 both finished only one stroke behind Aslanian.

The Amherst duo shot matching 163s to tie for 65th overall.

After having been one of the Mammoths’ top-two finishers in each of the team’s tournaments thus far, junior Will Lonnquist faltered this weekend, tying for 76th overall as Amherst’s last scoring golfer.

Amherst will continue to their season and compete next weekend, Saturday, Sept. 29.

The Mammoths will compete at the NESCAC Qualifier Tournament, hoping to improve upon last week’s result and earn a place at the NESCAC Championship in the spring, which will take place at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, Connecticut.