New coach, same tradition set pace for women's golf

The chances of the Jeffs returning to form in 2004 are high. Amherst returns four of five starters from the spring season and welcomes back Emily Foran ’05, who took the spring season off. Though the loss of top golfer Kathryn Kuchefski ’04 will hurt, Foran’s return combined with three new faces bodes well for Amherst.

The most important new face comes at the helm: Jim Plumer, the head women’s ice hockey coach, is the team’s new head coach. First-year students Alexandra Berman, Katherine Kelly and Kristin Beneski will also join the team, bringing the roster to seven players competing to be in the top five scorers.

“I’m really looking forward to working with this group of girls,” said Coach Plumer.

Coach Plumer is set to motivate the team to victory. “I look forward to being part of the continued success of the program,” he said. “It will be one of our main goals to see both the players and the team improve throughout the course of the year.”

The team is enthusiastic about its new leadership. “Our new coach Jim Plumer will most likely have a stong impact on the performance and mentality of the team,” said Foran.

Stability resides in the team’s returning members. Senior captain Meg Sullivan was consistently the team’s number-two player last year. “I know I have been impressed with Meg, who is a solid golfer and has great leadership skills,” said Plumer.

Sullivan will be joined on the greens by co-captain Sarah Godwin ’05. Sarah Harper ’07 proved herself several times on the course last year, and will hopefully gain consistency in her second year of collegiate competition. Melissa Sidman ’06 will resume her steady play.

Though Foran did not play last spring, she finished in fourth at the 2002 NCAA National Championship and shot consistently in the 80s last fall.

The combination of experience and enthusiasm should lead Amherst to reprise its history of success. “This is a cohesive, competitive and fun team and everyone seems excited to get back on the course,” said Plumer.

The team begins play Sept. 11-12 at the Dartmouth Invitational.