Quick Questions: Where Did the Val Smoothies Go?

In the fall of last year, the beloved breakfast smoothies in Val mysteriously disappeared. Features editors Humphrey Chen ’26 and June Dorsch ’27 investigate where they went and if they’re coming back.

Val Smoothies, a student favorite, disappeared in fall 2023. Photo courtesy of Claire Beougher ’26.

The pinnacle of a well-rounded Valentine breakfast: a freshly blended smoothie.

During the fall of 2023, however, Amherst students were left shocked, confused, and horrified at the sudden disappearance of the beloved smoothie station in Val. To investigate where our favorite breakfast beverage ran off to, and when they’ll return, Features editors Humphrey Chen ’26 and June Dorsch ’27 spoke with four Valentine Dining employees.

Previously, Frost Cafe Server Caroline Wojcik operated the smoothie station.

“It was her job specifically to do the smoothies,” Meal Checker Reneé Alvarez said. “Because she was part-time and then she moved up to a full-time position. [The smoothie station] was her thing and then she moved on up.”

When Wojcik was promoted, no one replaced her to run the smoothie station. But starting Monday, Feb. 19, Grab and Go worker Mary Healey will be taking over the position.

“I’m very excited,” she said. “Especially because [students] are so excited about it.”

Manager of Dining Hall Operations Anna Piergentili confirmed that smoothies will now be available from 7:30 to 10:00 a.m. on weekdays.

Dining Hall Supervisor Brian Peters said, “It’ll be up all throughout the rest of the semester.”