Quick Questions: Why Did Val Add More Compost Bins?

This semester, almost all of Valentine Dining Hall’s trash bins were converted into compost bins. Managing Features Editor Humphrey Chen ’26 explains why this happened.

Val recently converted the majority of their waste options to compost receptacles. Photo Courtesy of Lauren Kelz ’27.

In addition to the “Singing College,” Amherst might also be considered the “Compost College” after recent changes in Valentine Dining Hall to convert most of its bins to exclusively compost. Director of Dining Services Bill Connor remarked that, according to EcoReps, “students were filling the trash bin with compostable items. [In fact], 99 percent of waste within Valentine Dining Hall is compostable.” Therefore, the new coalition of compost receptacles represents an effort to sustainably capture and process the entirety of food waste produced from Val.

As of right now, dining administrators have no intention of returning to the original system or modifying the present one. Notably, recycling and landfill waste bins are still available at Val. Connor said, “The red Coca-Cola receptacle near the dish return is for bottles and cans. The silver metal trash cans in the serving areas are for trash.” Consider this change as food for thought: the next time you sweep the discards of your Charlie’s Chicken or Cajun Tofu into the brightly labeled “COMPOST” bins, be reminded of Amherst’s pointed efforts to reduce food waste and promote sustainability.