Runners strive to return to Nationals

Women’s Cross Country

This season the women are set to improve upon last year’s successes, which included a second-place finish at NESCACs, a number-two national rank, placing first in Little Threes and fifth at Nationals. Two top-10 individual finishes highlighted Nationals. Co-captain Carter Hamill ’05 finished fourth with Shauneen Garrahan ’07 close behind in tenth. The pair earned All-American honors.

Head Coach Erik Nedeau is looking for great things from the team and these two in particular. “The women should be a better team as they will have an incredible one-two punch at the front,” Nedeau said.

Other upperclassmen will also be crucial to Amherst’s success. “Juniors Margaret Davis and Ginger Polich and senior [co-captain] Ali Rodriguez should factor into the scoring,” said Nedeau. First-years, Laura Mortimer, Kim Partee, Heather Wilson and Meg Ray also look to make an impact.

Coach Nedeau described the team as “a very loaded and deep crew to compliment the front runners [Hamill and Garrahan].”

Men’s Cross Country

Despite the absence of top runners John Stanton-Geddes ’04 and Mike Page ’05 to graduation and loss of eligibility, respectively, the men are intent on repeating last year’s fine performances. They placed fourth at Districts and third at NESCACs.

Senior co-captains Matt Katz and Dave Molina will lead the men, with classmate Jack Morgan right behind.

Junior Dave Schreiner along with sophomores John Babbott, Cooper Knowlton, Nate Freese and Brandt Tullis will also contribute to the team’s performance. In addition, the team welcomes two new members in first-years Tomas Morrisey and Mike Harbus. Nedeau expects these men to “challenge the top five.”

“Both the men and women lost some valuable contributors from last year’s NCAA teams, both have the talent to be nearly as strong if not stronger than the previous year,” said Nedeau.

Both teams start the season at home on Sept. 11 at the Amherst Invitational.