SPORTS

Student Spotlight: Reggie Brewster '21

By Henry Newton '21 || Issue 148-14

Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios.

Managing Sports Editor Henry Newton ’21 sat down with Reggie Brewster ’21 (above right), member of the Men’s squash team, to talk about the difficulties of balancing a busy schedule as both a student and athlete.

Q: Generally, how do you balance being an athlete and a student?

A:It’s a lot of time management. I found that finding the little times in the day where you can get even a little bit of reading done add up. Finding opportunities to be productive whenever you can is crucial.

Q: Do you think that the Athletics Department adequately provides resources to help student athletes manage their time?

A: I personally don’t know all of the resources they provide, but in my experience, my coaches have been very understanding to both me and my teammates.

Q: In what contexts?

A: I think I am the only pre-med student on my team, and my exams are in the evening, which conflicts with the end of practice. My coaches, however, understand that even if practice ends at 7 p.m. and the exam is at 7 p.m., I need to leave early to grab some food and get settled in and get ready. In that way, academics always comes first, and they [my coaches] want to be flexible.

Q: Do you think you are treated differently in academic contexts because you are an athlete?

A: In my experience, I haven’t really felt that. There was one time last year, when I tried to get into a different lab time than the one I was assigned, because it conflicted with practice.
The professor, due to class sizes or logistics or something, didn’t let me switch, but fortunately my coaches accommodated my schedule, and I had an extra early morning practice on those lab days. It wasn’t because I was a student athlete, however. I don’t think I get treated any differently.

Q: It is hard to be pre-med and a student athlete?

A: In short, not more difficult than it is to be any of those things independently. Being a student athlete is tough. Being pre-med is a large workload. There is no inherent conflict, however, in my experience.