“Survivor”: Season 44, Episode 8

This week’s episode of “Survivor” included rare relaxation time and a grueling immunity challenge. Columnist Vaughn Armour ’25 recounts the episode’s heartfelt moments and thrilling competitions.

“Survivor”: Season 44, Episode 8
The recent episode of “Survivor” was highlighted by down time that showcased the survivors’ past stories. Graphic courtesy of Nina Aagaard ’26.

On April 26, “Survivor” released episode eight of season 44. It was a simple episode, but still quite enjoyable. (After all, it’s Survivor!)

Since the show shifted from 39 days to 26 in season 41, the game has been significantly condensed. The players now have less time to relax, talk, and bond. The morning began a rare off day for the Survivors, where they didn’t have a challenge or a Tribal Council. During this off day, Carolyn revealed to the rest of the tribe that she was a former alcoholic but is now 13 years sober. She now has a great life with a child and husband, who she met at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I was moved by her story and how proud she is of her journey.

Of course, the Survivors could only relax for so long. Soon after that moment, Danny started a mad dash for the idol, and the rest of the tribe quickly followed suit. Heidi ended up finding it, and she decided to keep the information to herself.

At the next immunity challenge, Jeff offered the contestants an extra bag of rice if four of them sat out. Rice was scarce, and they were hungry, so Carson, Heidi, Kane, and Lauren gave up their shot at immunity for sustenance. Because of this, only Jaime, Danny, Frannie, Yam Yam, and Carolyn competed. It was an endurance challenge, where the players had to keep a ball pressed against a wooden surface while balancing on a thin plank. The challenge came down to Danny and Frannie, with Frannie winning her second individual immunity challenge.

Once again, Soka targeted Ratu, and Ratu targeted Soka, leaving Tika in the middle. Frannie showed great recognition when she mentioned to Danny that they should target Tika soon. If the other players don’t stop underestimating Tika, those three might slide their way to the end. For this week, though, Tika chose between sending Danny (Soka) and Kane (Ratu) home.

Carolyn pitched Danny, as she saw him as the bigger threat of the two. In the end, Tika decided to maintain their relationship with Soka by eliminating Kane.

This was a pretty straightforward episode, but more wild ones are sure to come. With only eight players remaining, the endgame is quickly approaching. Tune in next week to see how this wonderful season continues to unfold.