The Roundup: All The Sports You Missed This Week — Dec. 4

Men’s Hockey The Mammoths had five games over the Thanksgiving recess, which began with a tandem of NESCAC matchups on the opening Saturday and Sunday.

Amherst fell short of triumphing over Trinity and Wesleyan, losing 2-1 and 4-1, respectively.

Christian Powers ’23 scored his debut goal in the loss to Trinity, and Connor Merrill ’23 also chipped in his first gino against Wesleyan.

The team turned its luck around on Tuesday, winning 2-0 against Saint Michaels’ College before a holiday recess.

The following weekend, however, was less fruitful, as Amherst fell to the State University of New York at Geneseo Knights 3-2 Saturday and tied Babson College 1-1 on Sunday.

Squash The women’s squash team completed its second sweep of the season over St. Lawrence University in a matchup on Friday, Nov. 22.

Amherst did not lose a single set across the nine matches, and no opponent scored more than eight points against a Mammoth.

Cross Country The men’s harriers traveled to their sixth consecutive NCAA championship meet, where the unexpected NESCAC silver medalists and fourth-place finishers in the regional qualifiers hoped to make another surprise run at a title.

Amherst earned 572 points, finishing 23rd out of 32 teams.

Captain Spencer Ferguson-Dryden ’20 finished 49th, pacing the Mammoths.

*Women’s Swim & Dive * The women’s swim and dive squad moved to 3-0 on the season, handily defeating Wesleyan 191-100 in a road meet last Monday.

Nina Fitzgerald ’21 was a standout for the Mammoths, placing first in two individual events (the 50-yard breaststroke and the 100-yard breaststroke), while also claiming first as part of the winning 200-yard medley relay alongside Grace Tarantola ’23, Marie Fagan ’22 and Natalie Rumpelt, ’20.

The Mammoths return to action against Middlebury on Dec. 7 at their first home meet of the season.

Men’s Swim & Dive The men’s swim and dive team had a successful beginning to its Thanksgiving recess, improving to 3-0 with a domineering 198-84 victory over Wesleyan last Monday.

In the team’s third straight road meet, the Mammoths finished in first place in all but three events on the day, including each of the diving events as well.

The Mammoths will look to continue their undefeated season when they return to action on Saturday, Dec. 7, at the team’s inaugural home meet against Middlebury.