Track starts outdoor season impressively

Women’s Track

Senior co-captain Lee-Jay Henry logged the performance of the week, capturing first in the long jump and second in both the triple jump and the 100-meter hurdles. “Henry had a great day in the jumps and hurdles and seems to be over her knee problems of the past two years,” said Head Coach Erick Nedeau. “She should be able to qualify for Nationals in either the jumps or the hurdles later on this season.”

The other co-captain, senior Carter Hamill, earned the opportunity to defend her national championship with a winning time of 16:55.22 in the 5000-meter run although, according to Nedeau, Hamill was “using the [5000] as a work-out in preparation for a [10,000] in a few weeks.” Hamill also placed second in the 1500-meter run.

Sophomore Shauneen Garrahan grabbed first place in the 800-meter run and earned a provisional qualification for Nationals with her first-place finish in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Senior Alison Rodriguez came in just behind Garrahan, placing second in the 3000. First-year Katie Moravec and junior Margaret Davis followed Hamill in the 5000-meter with third- and sixth-place finishes, respectively. Junior Ginger Polich followed her teammates in both the 1500 and the 800, finishing fourth and sixth, respectively, in the two events.

Junior Nzinga Tyehemba had a strong opening meet of the season, placing fourth in the 400-meter hurdles and eighth in the 100-meter hurdles. She was followed in the 100-meter hurdles by junior Krissy Morin and sophomore Maria Millard, who placed sixth and ninth, respectively. Morin also placed 10th in the shot put, while Millard placed ninth in the high jump.

A number of women turned in similarly strong performances. Keyonte Sutherland took sixth in the 200-meter dash, while Junior Julia Rucker finished sixth in the 400-meter dash, followed by first-year Ellie Tarlow in eighth. Finally, the 4×400-meter relay squad of Garrahan, Henry, Rucker and Sutherland captured second place.

Men’s Track

The men had an excellent showing this weekend, capturing a number of awards and gearing up for a return to Nationals with several personal records. The team had a particularly strong showing in the 5000 run. Senior Mike Page placed first in the 5000, followed by rookie Tomas Morrissey, who finished third in 15:24.79, the best time ever for a first-year Jeff. Mike Harbus ’08, sophomore Cooper Knowlton and junior Evan Guiney followed in seventh, ninth and 10th, respectively.

Sophomore John Babbott had an excellent meet, finishing second in the 1500 and sixth in the 800 run. Senior Matt Katz followed Babbott with a third-place finish in the 1500 run. Sophomore Sam Hayman took fifth in the 800-meter run. Sophomore Jon Ettinger took ninth in both the 200-meter and 400 dashes. The 4×400 relay team of first-year Rom Cabeza, Babbot, Ettinger and Hayman finished sixth.

On the field, junior Nick Canevari placed third in the discus and ninth in the shotput.

Both the men and women hope to pick up more National qualifications on Saturday at the UMass-Lowell

Invitational.