Women golfers show Div. III might

The condition of the greens was, to put it mildly, less than optimal on Saturday, the first day of the tournament. “It had rained there for almost 24 hours, and it was raining right up until we teed off,” said Head Coach Jim Plumer.

The weather had changed but not for the better by the second day of the tournament. “Sunday was dry but very cold and windy and that was perhaps even more difficult than Saturday’s wet conditions,” said Plumer.

However, the women triumphed in the face of this adversity. “It was a good start to the season for us,” said Plumer. “As a team we were pleased to be the top Div. III team and in fact beat three Div. I teams … I think we showed that we have the depth to be a top Div. III team this year.”

Senior co-captain Meg Sullivan led the Jeffs with an opening round of 79. The score tied her for third on day one out of over 100 competitors. Sullivan finished in a tie for 23rd place individually with scores of 79-87-166.

Emily Foran posted the second-best score, with a phenomenal 10-stroke drop from day one to day two (92-82-175).

Just two strokes back from Foran, sophomore Sarah Harper finished third for the team at 86-91-177. “Sarah Harper made four birdies on the weekend, placing her tied for fourth among all golfers in birdies,” said Plumer.

Senior co-captain Sarah Godwin was the fourth finisher for the team with scores of 93-95-188. First-year Ali Berman rounded out the top five finishers for the Jeffs in her first collegiate tournament at 92-108-200.

“I am very excited about our prospects for the rest of the fall,” said Plumer.

The women return to the links this weekend at the Mount Holyoke Invitational.