Women's hockey: Tenth win ties record for regular season victories

First-year goaltender Lindsay Grabowski ’07 continued her fine rookie campaign with another solid weekend in net. Of the 40 shots on goal she faced this weekend, Grabowski saved 39 of them, improving her save percentage to 87.6 percent. “Lindsay Grabowski in goal has been amazing. She has been saving the season many times over,” said classmate Rachel Simon. Grabowski also lifted her overall record to 10-10, having recorded a decision in every Jeff game this year.

The Jeffs had a number of players in the scoring column in the doubleheader against the Dragons, indicative of the balance the team has shown on offense this year. Amherst’s six goals this weekend came off the sticks of six different players, and eight Jeffs had assists. Forwards Ali White ’04 and Renee Sisti ’06, each of whom registered two points this weekend, maintained their tie for the team lead in scoring with 19 points. White also shares the team lead in goals with defender Simon-both players have 10.

Now the Lord Jeffs can turn their attention back to conference play, in which Amherst was idle this past week. Amherst entered the week tied with Hamilton College for fifth place in NESCAC with eight points. Over the weekend, the Hamilton Continentals split their twin bill with the Colby College White Mules, giving Hamilton a share of fourth place in the standings with 10 points. Wesleyan University, which dropped two conference games over the weekend, remains stuck on 10 points. While technically tied with Hamilton, the Cardinals have played three fewer games than the Continentals.

The Jeffs also have to look in their rear-view mirror to stave off challengers from behind. Colby and the Connecticut College Camels (both 3-8 in NESCAC) are in a dead heat for the seventh and final playoff spot. More importantly for Amherst, they both trail the Jeffs by two points and they both have two games in hand. If the Jeffs falter down the stretch, one or both teams could move past them, leaving Amherst out of the playoffs. With winnable games against Trinity College (0-11), Wesleyan (5-6) and Conn. this week, Amherst controls its own destiny. Nevertheless, the Jeffs will have to play well down the stretch if they want to move into the postseason.

“We really need all of our players to remain healthy,” Simon noted. She also said that in order to continue to win, Amherst “needs to improve communication on the ice. We also need to work on defensive zone play-offensive play starting in the defensive end.”

The Jeffs have four games remaining on the schedule, and they are all at home. The season-ending home stand will be welcomed by a team that has played 10 of its last 13 games away. Amherst re-opens Orr Rink tonight at 7 p.m. against UMass-Boston, before hosting a trio of critical conference contests later in the week. Ninth place Trinity visits Friday afternoon at 4 p.m., fourth place Wesleyan comes calling Saturday at 7:30 p.m., and seventh-place Conn. pays a visit Tuesday at 7:30.