Women's soccer: Women defeat Colby in double OT

Montigny, who assisted on both of Amherst’s regulation goals, broke a 2-2 deadlock that had lasted since the White Mules came from behind to tie the game in the 78th minute.

“Tracy [Montigny] always stays composed,” said senior tri-captain defender Leslie Curren. “She plays with urgency but a lot more poise than the rest of our team.”

The Jeffs had entered the Colby match looking to add a win to their second-place NESCAC mark, then 2-0-3, and the seventh-ranked White Mules looked to be the perfect candidate for an easy victory.

The easy win failed to materialize, however, as Colby took an early lead on the first shot to get past Jeffs’ goalie Jeanette “Piper” Crowell ’07 in over four matches. Crowell’s scoreless streak of 498 minutes, which had lasted over two weeks and helped her garner NESCAC Player of the Week and ECAC Div. III New England Goaltender of the Week honors, was snapped in the 33rd minute by leading Colby scorer Laura Williamson.

Reacting quickly, the Jeffs bounced back to tie the score and give a lift to the tenacious goalie who had carried them on her shoulders for three weeks. Less than a minute after Williamson slipped a shot past Crowell to give Colby a 1-0 lead, Montigny made a pass to forward Amy Armstrong ’07 for the equalizer.

Tied 1-1 entering the second half, the Jeffs quickly grabbed the momentum. Montigny fed 2003 All-American and NESCAC Player of the Year tri-captain forward Ashley Harmeling ’05 for a quick strike and 2-1 lead over the White Mules. Up 2-1 with one of New England’s top netminders, the Jeffs finally looked poised for a NESCAC win that would not enter overtime.

It was not to be. A 78th minute corner kick from Colby’s Kaitlin Herlihy was redirected past Crowell by Libba Cox, knotting the score and sending the Jeffs into yet another overtime scuffle.

Overtime turned into a midfield battle, with Colby getting off the only shot of the first overtime. With three minutes left in the second overtime and having put little pressure on the Colby goal, it appeared as if Amherst would have to settle for a tie yet again.

Montigny saved the day, coming out of nowhere to nail her second consecutive game-winner on a long blast as the Amherst sidelines erupted in relief.

On Wednesday, the fleet-footed Montigny had scored less than four minutes into the match against Mt. Holyoke College. Then Lesley Pruzansky ’07 netted an insurance goal in the 14th minute and Crowell and the defense did the rest, beating Mt. Holyoke 2-0.

The Jeffs hope to capitalize on Montigny and Crowell’s play again this week when they face NESCAC foes Connecticut College and Wesleyan University on Wednesday and Saturday, respectively.

Hopefully, the win over Colby has put an end to Amherst’s overtime difficulties. “We’re certainly in better shape [as a result of double overtime play],” said Curren, “But we’d rather come out of the ties with wins.”