Women’s Cross Country Places Eighth at NESCAC Championship Meet

Competing at the historic Franklin Park cross country course, the Amherst women’s cross country team placed eighth at the annual NESCAC Cross Country Championships this past Saturday, with a team score of 213 points. At 47 points, Middlebury dominated the team race, ending Williams’ three-year win streak. The Ephs (73 points) edged rival Wesleyan (84 points) for third place.

“It was a windy, muddy and wet day out there, but I’m proud of our team for showing grit and competitiveness,” said senior captain Lela Walter.

“We were well-prepared, and the women brought lots of positive energy despite less than ideal conditions,” added head coach Cassie Funke-Harris.

A season-high 11 Mammoths completed the 6k race out of a total field of 140 harriers. For the third time this season, sophomore Olivia Polischeck paced the Mammoths, notching a time of 23:28 to place 26th overall. Walter (23:48) was next in 32nd place, followed closely by junior Kristin Ratliff, who clocked a time of 23:59 to place 42nd.

Rounding out the scoring Mammoths, first-year Eline Laurent (24:17) and sophomore Sarah Gayer (24:38) placed 56th and 71st, respectively.

In her second race of the season, sophomore Haley Green registered a time of 25:02 to place 90th. Next across the line was first-year Julia Doubson, who placed 100th with a time of 25:17. Junior Jenny Mazzella (25:28) and sophomore Paige Reddington (25:35) followed in 103rd and 106th place, respectively.

Sophomore Katie Crum (25:51, 112th) and junior Olivia Moehl (26:58, 131st) rounded out the competing Mammoths.

“I have no doubt that each of our women gave it everything she had, but today wasn’t our best day overall,” said Funke-Harris. “I’m confident that we will have a better showing at regionals in two weeks, and that is exciting to look forward to.”

On Nov. 10, seven Mammoths will travel to Bowdoin to compete in the New England Division III Championships. The New England regional meet serves as a qualifier for the NCAA Division III National Championships, with two teams earning automatic-qualifying bids and an additional 16 teams across all regions earning at-large bids.