Women’s Dive Punches Ticket To Nationals

The women’s diving team showed out at the NCAA North/Northeast Regional Championships, taking first and second on the 1-meter board. Two divers will continue on to Nationals.

Three members of the women’s dive team competed at the NCAA Northeast/North Regional Diving Championships on Feb. 25 and Feb. 26. Two earned spots in the NCAA Division III National Championships with their remarkable performances.

While swimmers can qualify for the National Championships by posting qualifying times at any point during the year, the regional championship is the only means by which divers can secure an opportunity to compete for a national championship. The contest occurs over two days, with the 1-meter dive held on the first day and the 3-meter held on the second. The top seven divers qualify for nationals, as the top three in each event receive an automatic bid and the remaining spots are filled by subsequent divers if the same individuals finish in the top three spots in both competitions.

The Mammoths kicked off the 1-meter competition on Feb. 25 with spectacular performances from Hannah Karlin ’22 and Sydney Bluestein ’25, who finished first and second, respectively. Karlin, who was awarded NESCAC Diver of the Year after winning the same event at the NESCAC championship meet this year, posted a score of 422.8, with three out of her 11 total dives earning at least 40 points. This is Karlin’s second time qualifying for nationals, with the first coming in 2020, but the competition was canceled due to Covid. She looks to defend Amherst’s title in the event, as Lindsey Ruderman ’21 won a national title in both the 3-meter and 1-meter competitions in 2019. Bluestein followed closely behind her veteran teammate, finishing less than two points behind Karlin with 421.65 and becoming the second Mammoth diver to qualify for nationals. Hannah Colaizzo ’23, the third Mammoth competing, finished eighth with a score of 375.15 in her regionals debut.

Colaizzo had a prime opportunity to join her teammates in earning a spot at nationals in the 3-meter competition the next day, but came up just short with a fourth place finish. Her score of 401.40 was less than eight points away from third place and an automatic bid to nationals. Karlin and Bluestein also competed in the 3-meter competition, though Karlin finished seventh and Bluestein finished sixth.

The Mammoths, who are ranked 21st in the nation according to CSCAA, now look ahead to the Division III National Championships on March 16 in Indiana. Karlin and Bluestein will join nine members of the swim team (Jennifer Adams ’25, Lauren Eng ’24, Marie Fagan ’22, Jessica Gordon ’23, Alexandra Hartwich ’23, Megan Lee ’25, Cora Spelke ’25, Grace Tarantola ’23, and Grace Walker ’24) to compete for a national title, and Colaizzo will continue training as an alternate.