Women’s Lacrosse Falls to Mules in Intense Overtime

The Mammoths suffered a tough, 13-12 loss to Colby College after battling back to force overtime. With four regular-season matches left, the women now stand 7-3.

In a close, long-fought battle, women’s lacrosse lost to Colby College 13-12 on Saturday, April 8.

The Mules took charge in the first quarter, scoring five goals. However, Bridget Finley ’26 broke their streak, adding one goal for the Mammoths late in the first period.

During the second period, Colby scored two more goals to start off the quarter, while Clara Sosa ’26 and Finley scored late in the quarter, making the game a four-goal differential.

The Mammoths opened strong in the third quarter, with Morgan Lebek ’26 scoring a goal off a free position. The Mammoths used Lebek’s momentum, as Sosa scored another goal, which was followed up by attackers Emily Peterson ’26 and Sydney Kang ’25.

Their strength powered through to the fourth quarter, where the Mammoths opened with two goals to tie the game. Sosa, who scored four goals and had one assist on the day, scored on a free position, and Guttman followed to tie the game.

The Mules took the momentum back, scoring two goals after. Though, the Mammoths were determined until the end. Sosa and Sydney Larsen ’23 each scored, putting the score at 11-11.

The game continued to be a ping-pong match, as Colby scored another goal, but then Fiona Jones ’23 scored with under a minute left to conclude regular time. When the regular time ended, the Mammoths and Mules were tied, 12-12. The Mammoths came back from their five-goal deficit, forcing it into overtime. The fuel that Colby started with allowed them to end up on top as the game concluded.

“The first 10 or so minutes of the game, Colby ran up the score, and we spent the rest of the game chasing,” defender Annie Rosenman ’25 said. “We outplayed and outscored them the last 50 minutes of the game, but the first 10 made our comeback ultimately unsuccessful. We’re still looking to put a full 60 minutes together, and I think we really learned the consequences of not doing that against a top opponent.”

The Mammoths take on Connecticut College in New London, Connecticut on April 12. Following Wednesday’s game, the Mammoths will host Williams College on April 15 for their Senior Day. The Mammoths now stand at 7 and 3 and have four more regular season games to compete in.

“Our team has grown a lot this past season,” Rosenman said, “particularly in our ability to be resilient and taking on new roles on the team. A lot of returners have shifted their roles this season with Coach O’Brien’s arrival and our strong freshman class, which definitely says something about the flexibility and resiliency of our team.”