Women’s Soccer Adds Two Wins, Undefeated in Last Five

The women’s soccer team dominated New England College and defeated Connecticut College for their fifth win in a row.

Captain Isabelle Geneve '23 lines up a shot on goal against Smith earlier in the season. Geneve scored her first two goals of the season in the team's 9-0 victory against New England College. Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios.

On Sunday, Oct. 16, the No. 13 Amherst women’s soccer team made the trek to Henniker, New Hampshire, to take on the New England College Pilgrims. They headed into the game with an already-impressive 9-2 record and returned home with a tenth tally in the win column.

Even from the starting whistle, it was clear that Amherst was the dominant team on the field. Just five minutes into the game, Sarah Sullivan ’23 and Abby Schwartz ’24 sent two rapid-fire shots at the NEC keeper. Those shots may have gotten the ball rolling, so to speak, but senior captain Isabelle Geneve ’23 started the scoring action several minutes later with her first goal of the season.

Geneve’s tally opened the floodgates, as a flurry of goals ensued. Schwartz doubled the Mammoths’ lead less than three minutes later, her goal coming off an assist from Sullivan, and Geneve was then able to capitalize on a blocked shot by Schwartz, which she tapped into the net past the already-down New England keeper for her second goal of the contest — it was now 3-0 Mammoths after less than 20 minutes. But the Mammoths continued to pile on, adding three more goals before halftime via a penalty kick from Isabel Stern ’23, and the first collegiate goals for both Sophia Haynes ’26 and Brooke Ingemi ’26 to enter the break up a lopsided six goals to none.

Though the game was essentially all but over, the Mammoths took no chances in the second half, continuing to add to their massive lead. Stern scored her second of the game just five minutes after halftime, and Charlotte McGuire ’25 and (Managing Sports Editor) Liza Katz ’24 each added a goal of their own to cement the commanding 9-0 win for the Mammoths. The Mammoths ended the game with a ridiculous 39 shot attempts, 28 of which hit the target, while the Pilgrims only had three attempts, none of which were on goal.

The Mammoths carried the momentum into their weekday game against NESCAC opponent Connecticut College on Tuesday, Oct. 18, striking first just two minutes into the game off a goal from Stern, her third in two games. The 1-0 scoreline carried into halftime, but the Camels found the back of the net seven minutes into the second half to even the score. The Mammoths responded by applying their trademark pressure, which eventually paid off with the team’s second goal of the contest. Patience Kum ’25 blew by her defender down the right wing and crossed a dangerous ball to the back post, which a Camels defender misplayed into her own goal. Schwartz then added her NESCAC-leading 10th goal of the season as insurance in the 87th minute to solidify the Mammoths’ 3-1 victory.

The Mammoths, now 11-2 overall and 6-2 in the NESCAC, finish the regular season with two important NESCAC games this upcoming week. They play Hamilton on Saturday, Oct. 22, before a weekday game against Trinity on Tuesday, Oct. 25.