Women’s Soccer Secures Two NESCAC Wins over Tufts and Bates

The Mammoths were back in action this weekend for a fourth consecutive Saturady-Sunday double-header. Amherst faced two tough NESCAC opponents in Tufts and Bates on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

Heading into the first game of the weekend, Amherst boasted a record of 5-1-1 and was ranked No. 20 in the nation, while the Jumbos were ranked two slots lower at No. 22.

Amherst started strong, dominating possession and creating a couple of chances. This pressure paid off in the 24th minute, when Sloan Askins ’20 scored on a shot from well outside the 18-yard box that arced over the keeper’s outstretched hands and into the back of the net.

Six minutes later, the Mammoths found the back of the net again off a rebound that fell to the feet of first-year Ruby Hastie, who needed only to tap it into the bottom corner of the goal.

The final goal of the contest came, unassisted, off the foot of breakout first-year Alexa Juarez, who now has seven goals in her first nine games and is leading the team in goals, assists and total points. The 3-0 victory over the Jumbos gave Amherst its sixth shutout of the season and sophomore goalkeeper Antonia Tammaro her fifth clean sheet.

Less than 24 hours later, the Mammoths returned to the pitch, this time on the familiar Hitchcock Field, for their second NESCAC matchup of the weekend against the Bobcats.

Senior midfielder Caleigh Plaut, commenting on the back to back games, said, “We have played back to back games every weekend since the beginning of the school, so over time the double header weekends have gotten a lot easier. It is for sure a challenge both physically and mentally, but we have been able to produce a lot of success for ourselves.”

Once again, the Mammoths put on a show for the crowd of students, faculty and parents that filled the stands. Plaut got the scoring started in the 14th minute, firing a shot just under the crossbar after executing a skillful turn at the top of the box.

The next goal came off of a free kick taken by sophomore midfielder Natalie Landau, who beat the Bobcats goalkeeper with ease to widen the Amherst lead to 2-0.

Just before halftime, the Bobcats were able to get one goal back, but the second half began with the Mammoths on the front foot once again.

The hosts’ pressure led directly to Maeve McNamara ’19 securing the third goal of the game in the 76th minute, which itself was followed seconds after by another Amherst goal, this time by Juarez.

By the end of the game, the stats reflected the Mammoths’ overwhelming dominance with Amherst registering a remarkable 23 shots to Bates’ four. Indeed, Tammaro had to make just a single save against the Bobcats, as the Amherst backline held fast.

With this weekend’s results, Amherst improved to 7-1-1 on the season and 3-1-1 in the NESCAC. The Mammoths next game is away at Hamilton on Saturday, Oct. 6.