Women’s Soccer Wins Two Games To Extend Undefeated Streak to Nine

Boasting a record of 9-1-1, the Mammoths entered Saturday’s contest against Colby as the No. 11 Division III team in the country. In both the game against the Mules as well as against Springfield College on Sunday, Amherst demonstrated the accuracy of such a high ranking with two dominating wins.

In Saturday’s Senior Day contest against Colby, all six seniors — Caleigh Plaut, Morgan Machiele, Megan Root, Maeve McNamara, Eden Charles and Rubii Tamen — saw significant minutes after a pregame celebration of their impressive four years at the college.

The excitement from the opening celebration carried over into the first few minutes of the game, with the Mammoths dominating the early passage of play. Amherst’s efforts came to fruition in the ninth minute, when Kim Zhou ’22 notched the first goal of her collegiate career on a rebound that she fired homeover the Mules’ keeper. Although Colby managed to keep the Mammoths off the scoresheet for the next 60 minutes, the dam eventually broke in the 73rd minute, when sophomore striker Navva Sedigh tapped home a perfectly placed cross from Maeve McNamara ’19. To round out the victory, Cassie Chin ’21 fired home a goal in the last minute of play to clinch the 3-0 win. Colby was lucky to escape with only the three-goal loss as Amherst fired off a remarkable 26 shots on the Mules’ goal, with the visitors managing only a paltry three.

The second game of the weekend sent the Mammoths south to take on local foe Springfield College in a challenging, non-conference contest.

The Spirits proved to be a more formidable opponent than the Mules, matching Amherst with nine shots on the afternoon. However, a stout defensive performance from Amherst kept Springfield out of the back of the net. On the other end of the field, senior striker and captain Tamen netted both goals as Amherst emerged victorious with a 2-0 win.

With the two wins, the Mammoths now boast a record of 11-1-1 overall and 6-1-1 in NESCAC play, good for third in the conference.

Riding this wave of momentum, Amherst will look to extend its six-game winning streak on the road this Saturday, Oct. 20 against Little Three rival Wesleyan before closing out regular season play next Tuesday, Oct. 23 at home against Trinity.