College Mourns the Loss of Sara K. Schmitter

Sara Kathleen (Hoctor) Brunner Schmitter passed away on Saturday, Sept. 5, President Biddy Martin informed the community in a campus wide email.

Schmitter, 44, worked at the physical plant at the college for over 15 years. “Among her friends and co-workers, she was known for her good humor, her courage, and her deep love for animals and the outdoors,” Martin wrote in the email.

“She loved her muscle car and her rescue dog, Lulu. I have also learned that Sara had a passion for fishing and for cruises to the Caribbean with her sister Michelle,” Martin continued. “At work, she was always improving systems for the work she and her colleagues were doing.”

Schmitter met her husband, John Robert Schmitter, while working at the college. They recently married in November of 2019 after dating for more than 10 years. 

Prior to Amherst, Schmitter worked as a manager for F.L. Roberts in Turner Falls and Amherst. 

“Sara loved fishing,” her obituary reads. “Whether fresh water fishing at Forest Lake or deep sea fishing on her dad’s boat or aboard the ‘Yellowbird,’ Sara always managed to catch the biggest and most fish. Sara enjoyed camping, the outdoors and metal-detecting with her husband, John and her dad.”

“Our hearts go out to John and to all of Sara’s family, friends and colleagues,” Martin wrote. 
Schmitter’s obituary can be found here. The college has also created an In Memoriam page to leave notes and remembrances.