Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Dec. 13 to Jan. 31

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on community happenings. This week’s edition includes the town of Amherst’s Fire and Ice Festival, a meet and greet with new campus Rabbi Shahar Colt, and updates on the Climate Action Plan.

Luminaria lighting at the town of Amherst’s 2020 Fire and Ice Festival. Photo courtesy of Stephen Braun.

Town of Amherst holds Fire and Ice Festival

The Town of Amherst will be hosting its annual Fire and Ice Festival, the final event of its Winterfest activities, on Sunday, Feb. 3, from 2 to 7 p.m. The festival, co-sponsored by the college, will feature a variety of foods and activities, display ice and metal sculptures, and host several performances, culminating in a luminaria ceremony.

College Hosts Meet and Greet with New Campus Rabbi

Students, faculty, and staff will have the opportunity to meet with Shahar Colt, the new campus rabbi, between 4 and 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 2, at a meet and greet hosted by the Office of Student Affairs in the Friedmann room. Appetizers and sweet treats will also be provided.

Octagon Closure and Climate Action Plan Updates

The Octagon will be closed throughout the spring semester for heating system replacements as the college begins the next phase of its Climate Action Plan. In addition to remodeling the Octagon, the college will begin distributing piping along College Row. Following spring break, parking alongside Johnson Chapel and Johnson Hill Road will not be available.