Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Feb. 21 to Feb. 28

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that has occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: student-firefighters, AAS shuttles, and more.

AAS To Provide Spring Break Shuttles

Shuttles will be provided to and from campus for spring break, sponsored by the Association of Amherst Students’ (AAS) Transportation Committee. Shuttles departing from campus on Friday, March 10 and Saturday, March 11 were announced in an email Sunday. Destinations include Bradley Airport, Boston (Federal Reserve) and New York City (Port Authority). There are 56 spots available on each bus, with a waitlist form for when the capacity is reached.

Amherst Fire Department Recruiting Students

The Student Force, part of the Amherst Fire Department, operates its own engine company, and is recruiting students from the college for its staff. Students will be trained in all basic firefighting skills to respond to fires, medical emergencies, and natural disasters. The program emphasized a preference for students who are first-years and sophomores to apply, with a deadline on March 3.

Registrar's Office Announces Breadth Exceptions for Seniors

The registrar’s office established a one-time exception for breadth requirements, wrote Becky Catarelli, interim registrar, in an email to all senior thesis writers, due to the new Latin honors policy being passed following the spring 2023 add/drop deadline. The exception means that cross-listed courses can be counted in any department under which the course is listed, regardless of what the transcript records