Mammoth Moments in Miniature: May 3 to May 10

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that occurred during the week. In this week’s installment: the Committee of Six splits into two, the Housing Innovation Project calls on the college to donate land, and architecture students call for change.

Committee of Six To Split Into Two

The faculty recently voted to divide the Committee of Six into two separate committees: the Faculty Executive Committee and the Tenure and Promotion Committee. The Committee of Six’s responsibilities have historically included both advising the administration on policy and handling faculty-related considerations, such as reappointment, tenure, and promotion. Moving forward, the Faculty Executive Committee will assume the role of advising the college and representing the interests of the faculty as a whole, while the Tenure and Promotion Committee will handle matters of faculty promotion and tenure.

Housing Innovation Project Calls on College to Donate Land for Affordable Housing

On April 23, the Association of Amherst Students sent out a message from the Housing Innovation Project (HIP), a group of Amherst College students working to increase access to safe and affordable housing in Amherst. In the message, the HIP, which partners with  Amherst Community Connections (ACC), a local agency that aids people in finding affordable housing, shared a petition calling on the college’s administration to donate a parcel of its land to be used for permanent affordable housing. The college has yet to make an official response to the petition, which has received over 100 signatures since its release.

Architecture Students Release Petition for Faculty Support

Last week, students sent a petition to the Architectural Studies Program expressing their concern about the department’s lack of support for thesis and senior capstone projects. The petition, signed by both architecture majors and other students, called attention to the department’s policy restricting students from contacting faculty over the summer, and its lack of introductory courses and adequate manufacturing facilities and resources. Also included in the petition was a list of requests for increased faculty accessibility, accommodations for access to workspaces and resources, and new technology capable of running advanced architectural programs. The petition has amassed 50 signatures.