Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Nov. 16 to Nov. 29

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that has occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: bias-related vandalism at Book and Plow Farm, the Office of Sustainability launches a new Green Living Certification program, and more.

Bias Incident at Book and Plow Farm

On Monday, Nov. 28, ACPD alerted the campus community about an incident of bias-related vandalism that occurred the previous week at Book and Plow Farm. According to Executive Director of Community Safety and Chief of Police John Carter, the farm manager on duty was informed of damage done to a wooden pallet that had been painted with the queer and trans pride flag on Nov. 23, and immediately notified ACPD. Carter called the incident “unacceptable” and the “antithesis of [the college’s] values as an institution.” As of now, there is no indication as to who committed the vandalism, and the pallet is in police storage.

The Office of Sustainability Green Living Certification

The Office of Sustainability has rolled out a new Green Living Certification program, designed to help students understand their environmental impact. Students will be able to fill out a brief survey, which is linked in Nov. 29’s Daily Mammoth, about their “lifestyles and residential living habits.” Depending on how environmentally-friendly students’ habits are, they will receive either a bronze, silver, or gold clean living certification. Those who fill out the survey will receive a sticker that corresponds to their rating and will be entered into a raffle for a Hydroflask. The survey is available until Dec. 2.

Administration Sends Survey to Jewish Community

Director of Religious and Spiritual Life Harrison Blum is looking for feedback from Jewish students regarding life at campus in light of the recent controversy surrounding The Contra, as well as administration’s plan to bring speakers to campus for the spring semester to discuss antisemitism and the Israel-Palestine conflict. Students interested in providing feedback on the campus’s current climate for Jewish students can submit feedback through a survey in the Daily Mammoth. The results of the survey, which will be open through Dec. 4, will be communicated to the administration following the survey’s closure.

Winter Parking Ban

In an email to students on Nov. 18, the Amherst College Police Department announced the implementation of a new overnight parking ban in “any Faculty/Staff or Service Vehicle spaces and lots from 2 AM until 8 AM.” The purpose of the ban is to “facilitate snow removal and the treatment of icy surfaces.” Students will still be able to park as normal in the South Lot, Hills Lot, and the designated student parking lots. The email also reminded students that overnight parking is not allowed in the Orr Rink Lot. The ban will remain in place until Apr. 1.