Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Sept. 28 to Oct. 4

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that has occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: the college releases new masking policy for classrooms, President Michael Elliott debuts on WAMH, and more.

Award-Winning Aizuri Quartet Performs at Amherst

On Sept. 30, the critically acclaimed, Grammy-nominated Aizuri Quartet performed a 90 minute concert at the college’s Buckley Recital Hall as part of the Music@Amherst program. The group, made up of Emma Frucht and Miho Saegusa on violin, Ayane Kozasa on viola, and Karen Ouzounian on cello, performed four classical pieces evoking a restless, fearful nightmare, before the eventual release of a beautiful sunrise.

New Podcast “Black Women of Amherst” Released

Nichelle S Carr ’98, distinguished activist and film, television, and digital media producer, hosts a new podcast entitled “Black Women of Amherst.” Inspired by the 1999 book of the same name, the podcast tells the stories of Black women at the college, from staff and students to professors and administrators. Around 50 women were included in the six-part series, including poet Sonia Sanchez, CNN anchor Laura Jarrett, and former Amherst president Biddy Martin. All episodes are streaming now, wherever you listen to podcasts.

Administration Releases New Covid Guidelines for Classroom Settings

On Sept. 29, the administration sent an email to the campus community with updated guidelines for masking policies in instructional spaces on campus. Beginning Oct. 18, masking policies in these spaces will be based on the results of anonymous surveys, conducted by professors, requesting that students indicate whether or not they wish to continue wearing masks. All students in classrooms with at least one participant indicating a preference for ongoing mask-wearing will be required to continue doing so.

President Michael Elliott Makes His WAMH Debut

President and former DJ Michael Elliott made his debut appearance as president on the student radio station WAMH on Oct. 2. Speaking with host Holden Orias ’24 on Orias’ show “Southpaw Soundbites,” Elliott discussed 80’s music along with his curated picks for the show, which included, among others, “Like a Prayer” by Madonna and “7” by Prince and The New Power Generation.

SASA Holds Fundraiser for Pakistan Flood Victims

The Amherst College South Asian Students Association responded to recent floods in Pakistan with a fundraiser between Sept. 28 and Sept. 30. Gift bags were sold in the Keefe Atrium during the afternoon, with the goal to aid some of the 33 million affected Pakistanis.