Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Wednesday, May 8

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on campus happenings. This week’s edition includes the new Amherst police chief, the Emily Dickinson Museum’s annual poetry walk, and more.

Amherst Appoints New Police Chief

The Town Manager and Police Search Committee of Amherst announced on April 23 that Gabriel Ting, a 27-year veteran of the Amherst Police Department, has been selected as the new chief of police. Ting, who started out in the Amherst Police Department as a patrol officer, has been the Department’s captain of operations since 2019. Ting’s appointment to the position is subject to a final review by the Town Council at an upcoming council meeting.

UMass Inaugurates 31st Chancellor

Javier Reyes was inaugurated as the 31st Chancellor of UMass on April 26 amidst continued protests against Israel’s war in Gaza. Although Reyes, a trained economist, began his work as chancellor in the summer of 2023, his formal installation did not take place until this year. Reyes is the first Hispanic leader of the state’s flagship university.

Emily Dickinson Museum Holds Poetry Walk

The Emily Dickinson Museum will be hosting its annual poetry walk on Saturday, May 11, in honor of the 138th anniversary of the poet’s death. The walk will take place in downtown Amherst, ending at Dickinson’s grave in the West Cemetery with a lemonade toast to the poet. While the event is free, prior registration is required.