Mammoths Moments in Miniature: May 10 to Sept. 6

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: A.J. Hasting’s closed, free printing, Workday, and more.

A.J. Hastings Announces Closure After 108 Years of Business

On July 27, A.J. Hastings closed its doors for business for the last time after 108 years of operation. A longtime staple for both students and townspeople, the store survived two world wars and a pandemic. The owners were ready to retire, and their children were not interested in continuing the family business.

College Implements Free Printing

On Sept. 1, the college eliminated fees for student printing in all public printing locations for the 2022-2023 academic year as part of a new pilot program. Though students will continue to see charge totals at release stations, fees will no longer be applied to students’ accounts. The Campus Print & Mail Center will continue to operate on a pay-to-use basis.

College Transitions from AC Data to Workday

Over the summer, the college officially transitioned operations and all student data from AC Data to Workday. Moving forward, Workday will be used for academic tasks, including advising and registration, in addition to housing other information, including student finances and on-campus jobs.

Buildings Across Campus Undergo Construction During Summer

While students enjoyed a break from classes, construction crews were hard at work on campus. Johnson Chapel, the Stearns Steeple, and the Emily Dickinson Museum, Webster Hall, and the gym underwent repair and renovation, while construction continued on the new Frank Lyceum, the new home of the History department and the Center for Humanistic Inquiry.