Spring 2022 AAS Special Elections Candidate Statements

The Association of Amherst Students (AAS) will hold elections for open AAS Senator positions on Friday, Feb. 18., from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. The students listed have announced their candidacies for these elections.

Elections to fill AAS senator positions left vacant by students studying abroad will take place on Friday, Feb. 18, from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Photo courtesy of Matai Curzon '22.

The Association of Amherst Students (AAS) will hold elections for open senator positions on Friday, Feb. 18, from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. The students below have announced their candidacies for these elections. Students who are interested in hearing from these candidates should attend Speech Night on Thursday, Feb. 17, at 7 p.m. in Lipton Lecture Hall.

Candidates are listed alphabetically by last name.

Class of 2023

Sam Robin

I’m very excited to run for the position of senator in the AAS. I’ve always had a passion for helping people and would be honored to have the platform to make meaningful contributions to life on campus. I believe my connections to the student body will enable me to represent its general sentiment accurately when deliberating over the best path forward. In this vein, I have been preemptively surveying my friends on campus to identify the most poignant pain points so we can have a focused and constructive approach/discussion around how to improve daily life on campus.

Sophie Sweeney

During my three years at Amherst I have encountered many issues that have left me feeling disappointed. I am running for a Senate seat because I want to utilize my frustration in productive ways. I am particularly interested in sustainability at Amherst, more specifically in increasing the amount of collaboration between administrators and students so that environmental projects can be more effective and impactful. I want to work on projects that foster connections between environmental groups, the Office of Environmental Sustainability, administrators, Valentine Dining Hall, Book & Plow Farm, and students, because I believe that change is most successful when there are strong coalitions backing it.