THE LIST

EXHIBITIONS

Casa Mañana: The Morrow Collection of Mexican Popular Arts celebrates the collection of Mexican folk art by Dwight W. Morrow 1895 and his wife Elizabeth Cutter, amassed during Morrow’s tenure as United States Ambassador to Mexico in the 1920s. (Mead Art Museum, through April 21.)

SELECT FLICKS

Academy of Music Theater

(584-8435)

The French import “The Brotherhood of the Wolf” (set in 1765 during the reign of King Louis XV) tells the tale of a scientist sent on a mission to capture an unseen but savage monster living in the woods of a small French province.

Cinemark at Hampshire Mall

(587-4233)

Director Ron Howard’s skillfully directed but contrived film, “A Beautiful Mind,” Golden Globe winner for Best Picture (Drama), features Russell Crowe as the schizophrenic mathematician John Forbes Nash, Jr. and Jennifer Connelly as his wife, Alicia.

The Britney Spears vehicle “Crossroads,” a road-trip movie featuring the pop star as a teen in search of her biological mother, fails to deliver even the guilty pleasure its cast and premise promise.

Based on the book by Marc Bowen, “Black Hawk Down” is a visually and emotionally intense drama about the United States’ failed 1993 attempt to bring food and aid to starving Somalis. Directed by Ridley Scott, its ensemble cast includes Josh Hartnett, Tom Sizemore and Ewan McGregor.

The first installment of J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings,” is brought to life in New Zealand director Peter Jackson’s lush “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,” starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan and Bill Boyd.

Pleasant Street Theater

(586-0935)

In his best film since “Short Cuts,” director Robert Altman presents the highly acclaimed “Gosford Park,” a witty, fluid parody of a classic Agatha Christie-style murder mystery and English comedy of manners. The film stars la creme de la creme of British film and stage actors. Nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

TALKS

Williams College Mathematics Professor Edward Burger will speak on “The Texas Cake Cutting Massacre: Can Conflicts Be Resolved By Making Piece?” in which Burger addresses issues such as the link between birthday cakes and world peace. (Wed., 7 p.m., Seeley Mudd 206.)

Poet and physician Rafael Campo ’87 will lecture on “Medicine and Humanities: the Liberal Arts and Medical Education in the 21st Century,” a talk incorporating his own poetry into reflections on the influence of liberal arts on his training as a doctor. (Thurs., 7 p.m., Cole Assembly Room.)

STAGE

The Amherst College Department of Theater and Dance presents “The Marriage or Men Die First,” an experimental fusion of performance and research-based theater in a socio-psychological environment with time restrictions. Directed by Jozef Lewandowski ’02. (Thurs., Fri. & Sat., 8 p.m., Experimental Theater. Free.)

TUNES

The Chamber Music Program, directed by Mark Lane Swanson, presents the first in its series of free concerts, a jazz tribute to the lyrics of Broadway legend Dorothy Fields. The medley will be performed by Adjunct Instructor and Music Department Librarian Ann Maggs, jazz vocalist, and Professor of Music Dana Gooley, jazz pianist. (Wed., 12:15 p.m., Buckley Recital Hall.)

MISCELLANEOUS

Mystery author Jack Kelly, author of “Line of Sight,” will sign and read excerpts from his latest offering, “Mobtown.” (Wed., 7 p.m., The Odyssey Bookshop.)

This month’s Song & Story Swap features folk musician Jerry Bryant, who will perform selections from his repertoire of hundreds of traditional and contemporary songs. The monthly event invites people of all ages to sing, tell tales or simply listen to a blend of traditional and innovative songs and stories. (Fri., 7:30 p.m., the Black Sheep Cafe.)

Attend a taping of Weekly Roundup, the TV talk show, now in its second year. This week’s program features music and conversation with the delightful Ross Flournoy ’02. (Friday, 8 p.m.  Campus Center Frontroom.)