Performances, Poetry, and Prose: Amherst’s Creative Groups

There are so many creative groups on campus, it can be hard to know what’s happening. Managing Arts and Living Editor Madeline Lawson ’25 introduces some of Amherst’s student arts groups in preparation for this Saturday’s Get Involved Fair.

There are tons of opportunities to enjoy student art and creativity at Amherst, such as at a Mr. Gad’s House of Improv show, pictured here. Photo courtesy of Luke Herzog ’24E.

Amherst is full of creative outlets for students, and it can be hard to keep track of our many campus arts communities. In preparation for the Get Involved Fair this Saturday, The Student reached out to a number of creative student organizations to hear about their goals this semester and how you can get involved, either by participating or appreciating their art. The following selection is in no way representative of every creative group on campus — the college has an incredible amount of clubs and activities, and this article doesn’t even begin to touch on the many a capella groups, for example — but it gives a taste of what’s happening.

DASAC

Founded in 2000 by Jocelyn Goode ’03, Dance and Step at Amherst College (DASAC) was started in order to create a space for styles of dance rooted in Black American culture and the larger Black Diaspora, previously underrepresented at Amherst College. Reflected in the name of the group, DASAC aims to highlight hip-hop and stepping as well as genres like popping, locking, breakdance and more. Follow our Instagram for updates: @danceandstep.ac

— Abadai Zoboi ’24, co-artistic director

The Green Room

The Green Room is an entirely student run theater group putting on three to four amazing shows a semester! Right now, our parody “Amherst Psycho” is under development and will premiere in mid-October. We aim to give students the opportunity to make art in their own vision, on the stage or behind the scenes!

— Dylan Schor ’25, communications director

The Indicator

Founded in 1848, The Indicator is the oldest student-run literary magazine on campus. We publish one themed edition per semester and accept a range of creative work including art, short stories, poetry, and more. This semester, we hope to continue encouraging creativity on campus with our writer-editor workshops, increase our outreach to artists through our new staff artist role, and secure a dedicated space for club activities in the creative writing area. Stay updated with our Instagram: @amherstindicator.

— Gabrielle Avena ’25, editor-in-chief

The opening of The Indicator’s gallery of art published in the Spring 2022 edition, “Break,” displayed in Frost Library. Photo courtesy of Gabrielle Avena ’25.

Intersections Dance Company

Intersections Dance Company is a student-led dance group dedicated to giving a platform to students’ varied dance backgrounds. Each week, the company hosts a class, open to the public, where a different company member teaches a discipline of their choosing such as ballet, jazz, tap, contemporary or modern. Throughout the semester, company members choreograph with their peers to create an end-of-semester showcase. Auditions to join the company are this Wednesday from 8:30-10:30 p.m. in Webster Hall! @intersections.dance.company.

— Gillian Campbell ’24, co-artistic director

Intersections Dance company members perform in the group’s Spring 2023 student showcase. Photo courtesy of Slate Taylor ’25.

Mr. Gad’s House of Improv

Mr. Gad’s House of Improv (usually just “Gad’s”) is Amherst's oldest, best, and only improvisational comedy group. Once a week we take the stage and, with the audience's help, weave a tangled web of wild, laugh-filled fun — all off the top of our heads! We practice three times per week and perform every Monday night at 10 p.m. in the Friedmann Room of Keefe Campus Center. We hold workshops for anyone who wants to give improv a try (Sept. 16 at 4 p.m. in O’Connor Commons) and auditions (Sept. 17 at 6 p.m. in the Friedmann Room). Email [email protected] with any questions, and follow our Instagram for updates: @mrgadshouseofimprov!

— Luke Herzog ’24E, director

Glee Club

The Amherst College Glee Club (also known as the Choral Society) comes together twice a week to sing a variety of choral music, from classical to modern! We are a group of people who love to sing together and welcome new voices. We perform at three concerts throughout the fall semester with optional outside performances and sometimes go on tour. Come to our concerts and enjoy the music!

— Annika Bajaj ’25, president

Orchestra

Orchestra at Amherst has allowed me to stay connected to classical music at college. It offers various opportunities for student musicians to perform together or in small chamber groups and brings joy to the campus community at large. Our first concert, welcoming the Class of 2027, is on September 23 at 7 p.m. in Buckley Recital Hall.

— Alexandra Olson ’25, principal second violin

The Poetry Club

The Amherst Poetry Club is your go-to destination for all things poetry! We are dedicated to creating spaces for poetry lovers to connect and share their appreciation for the form. The club publishes its own student literary magazine, The Lilac, and hosts a variety of events throughout the school year with our vibrant community of writers and readers. Our intro meeting will be Thursday, Sept. 14 at 5 p.m. in the Chapin Chapel, and we would love to see you there!

— Mel Arthur ’25, president

Sidnie Kulik ’25 performs at the launch party for The Poetry Club’s literary magazine, “The Lilac.” Photo courtesy of Mel Arthur ’25.

The Student

Of course, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention joining The Student. We’re always open to new writers, but we also have room for people interested in podcasts, management, layout, crosswords, and even more! Our interest meeting is on Wednesday, Sept. 20, at 6 p.m. in Paino Lecture Hall of the Beneski Museum of Natural History.