Treat, Estacio represent Jeffs at NCAAs

For the third year, Estacio competed in the backstroke events. On the second day of competition, he raced in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing seventh during the preliminary round. Later that day, in a fast finals race, Estacio recorded an eighth-place, All-America finish with a time of 51.23 seconds.

The following day, Estacio competed in the 200-yard backstroke. During preliminary competition, he qualified for consolation finals with a 14th-place finish; during final competition, Estacio earned himself a respectable 13th place.

“Although the 200-yard race was not as fast as I had hoped, I was pleased with my 100-yard as it was my second-fastest time ever,” said Estacio.

Out of three individual events, Treat earned two All-America honors. On the first day of competition, he finished 10th during preliminaries in the 200-yard individual medley, but improved to a final ninth place. The 400-yard individual medley was Treat’s second event of the weekend; he qualified for the championship heat with a seventh-place finish during preliminary competition before taking fourth in the finals. Finally, Treat competed in the 200-yard butterfly. He registered an eighth-place finish during preliminary competition, but came back in finals with a strong seventh-place All-American finish.

Unfortunately, due to an injury suffered by Bryan Woo ’06 during the NESCAC championships, the Jeffs were forced to forfeit their relays. Nonetheless, the duo of Treat and Estacio managed to earn 51 points and an overall 16th-place finish out of 56 teams, ending the Jeffs’ season at second among the NESCAC teams at Nationals.

The Jeffs enjoyed a successful season, but still hope to improve next year. “With our team at full strength next year,” said Estacio, “I hope we will be able to improve our record and be competitive with Williams [College].”